Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
ScullsMcNasty (5/21/2009)wow!!! i hope you have a big freezer!!! if you run out of room, give me a call!
I guess my question is, if there are so many flounder around, why would you want to eat frozen, just go catch some more next week??!!?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Bay Pirate (5/21/2009)
ScullsMcNasty (5/21/2009)wow!!! i hope you have a big freezer!!! if you run out of room, give me a call!
I guess my question is, if there are so many flounder around, why would you want to eat frozen, just go catch some more next week??!!?

Because this run only lasts a few weeks and frozen flounder tastes like the day you caught it even after year. No different than stocking up on ribeyes when Sam's puts them on sale.

·
Registered
807 Posts
DFA did you catch those in florida?

where ever you caught them both saturday and sunday that is a hell of a great catch!

tight lines and great fishing adventures!

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
Yummmmm, year old Alabama Flounder out of the freezer, and 10's of thousands of fresh fish swimming around just waitng for their next hook up!

Don't get me wrong,I admire your catch, and your ability to find that many fish, cudos to you! But why not eat'em fresh considering the fishing is moving into full swing?I wouldn't want to clean that many fish too much work!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Bay Pirate........I know exactly where you're coming from. You're trying to tell me I'm keeping too many fish eventhough I'm well within theFLORIDA limit on every species in my picture.I suppose if it was red snapper season and I had eight snapper laying there in my picture you would say I should have put half of them back. Give me a break!!

Yougo ahead and keep just enough for a meal,I will continue to stock upwhen the opportunity presents itself.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
I'm not telling you anything, I'mjust making some observations, understanding that year old flounder taste like crap out of the freezer,&understanding that you are operating within the laws. I am however, narrowing down a little where Westof the Pass these fish were caught!

Come on now DFA....you know some of those fish would be illegal in Fl....and you wouldn't post pics of illegal fish, but they do fit Alabama size limits! Good for you, Good catch!

PS: red snapper have nothing to do with this

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
BP.....I've told Capt Wes wherein Florida Icaught them. If ya'll are buds may he will tell you.Every fish in that picture meetsthe FL minimum size limit. How did you measure them?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
<U>Another</U> Great box DFA.

Your reports are always very impressive, and I could see how some people could be very envious of your ability to consistently produce a great box of fish.

I enjoy your reports and wish I knew half what you obviously do.

Keep the reports coming.

Great Report.........Again.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
Death From Above (5/23/2009)BP.....I've told Capt Wes wherein Florida Icaught them. If ya'll are buds may he will tell you.Every fish in that picture meetsthe FL minimum size limit. How did you measure them?
They were pretty easy to guesstimate from the pics in the 1st post, 14" spec, 16"red, comparison of snapper to specs, bench seat sizesetc.

Add in that the Mobile Bay area was covered with flounder last week, and then the habitat needed for numbers offlounder like that...it fits!

It really doesn't matter, I'D RATHER BE FISHING THAN SPECULATING ON THIS CRAP!

But the weather is not cooperating soI guess we're all engaging in some useless mental and key boardexercises!

I'm not judging you on keeping your catch, (although you keep trying to insinuate that)if its' legal its OK with me.I am by nature more conservation minded, but that's my choice.I also believeI can go catch fresh fish everyweek this time of year, so other than freezing 1 or 2 filets for a rainey day,I release most of my fish, again that is my choice.

As for winter time when the fishing is slow, I'd rather go to Joe Patti's and eat some fresh fish than something that's been in the freezer more than a month or so!

However,I will say ifI caught 3to 5(2+ - 5lb) flounderI would probably keep them all because the filets off fish that size are worth keeping and rare to hit a batch like that. As for the little ones, they are may be legal but they'reway too much work cleaningfor me, for a couple of bites of fish! I won't keep reds under 20-21" either for the same reason!

Enough for me on this subject, have a nice weekend, I'm going to go work on putting fresh hooks on my top water lures and suspending baits!

·
Registered
937 Posts
:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Way to go Bay Pirate. I enjoy reading these posts but hate to see two awesome fisherman arguing so much.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bay Pirate, I know you are probably done with the thread but I had to chime in on the freezing of the flounder and it tasting like crap part. Flounder is one of the few fish that freeze well and doesn't get fishey from being in there too long. Also the vacuum sealers make it taste almost as fresh as the day(I'd go as high as 90% vs. 100% being fresh)

Ask anybody with a food saver........those things ROCK for freezing fish. Now red snapper........thats a different story.

I'd eat vacuum sealed flounder thats been frozen for a year in a hearbeat--especially in the winter when its too cold to go out and catch fish.

But still I respect and agree with your conservation ideals

21 - 40 of 50 Posts