Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well despite the windy conditions and cooler weather I decided to wet a few lines off of NAS, Caught a few nice sized sheephead on live shrimp in only 3 feet of water, More bait steelers then I would like to admit but the few I caught made up for it.

Decided to try some deeper water and fish with some live pin fish, sat there for 15 minutes until my rod decided to bend over.. Gave the rod a little pressure to set the hook and the fight was on.. Given the location and the way the fish was fighting me on light tackle I could only assume it was a fairly large redfish.. Got him up next to shore and noticed something around his head.. it looked to me like maybe he had gotten hit by a prop or something of that sort..

Took the fish out of the water and realized it was about a 1/2 inch peace of plastic around his head just aft of the gills.. IT was thick plastic not like the beer can circles, and it was cutting into his skin on top and bottom because it had been there for such a long time.. The fish looked very sick because of the wounds so I cut the plastic ring off, snapped a photo and put him back in the water.. he swam away and was probably pretty happy with me.There was some growth on the plastic barnicales and such so I could only imagine he hasnt been caught in quite sometime.

Will post up the pics when I get home from work this afternoon, it's just another reminder to me especially that we have to be carefull about what goes in the water and how it can impact the wildlife.

3 sheepheadon live shrimp, 1 redfish on live pin fish light tackel, 20lb flourocarbon ldr.

·
Praedator
9,917 Posts
Good to see some action on the base. I haven't tried after work in a while here on base. What part of the basewere you fishing. I usually fish portside. But I will not be out there till the time changes again, so that I have enough daylight after I get off.

·
Indiana Jones
865 Posts
If you go to portside club seawall Ill gurantee youll see me. Im the kid in the Indianna Jones hat or the one with the radio flyer wagon morphed into a pier cart

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks for taking the time and effort to cut that off and releasethat fish. I think if more anglers where as respectfull of our fisheries as you we would be much better off. I hate seeing trash in the water, including fishing line. How some so called "anglers" disrespect our natural resources is beyond me. Anyway, off the soap box, did you catch the pin fish you used for bait yourself? If so, howed you do it? Thanks.:bowdown

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dragnfly (2/23/2009)Thanks for taking the time and effort to cut that off and releasethat fish. I think if more anglers where as respectfull of our fisheries as you we would be much better off. I hate seeing trash in the water, including fishing line. How some so called "anglers" disrespect our natural resources is beyond me. Anyway, off the soap box, did you catch the pin fish you used for bait yourself? If so, howed you do it? Thanks.:bowdown
When the ole pinfish are scarse to cast net, I use a split shot sinker and a very small hook.. Cut a little peace off the end of a gulp bait and toss it in the water.. Thoes little suckers can't resist it.

Sorry still didnt get pics up, Im working on it! ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
WOW, what a great thing a man can do to nature. That red fish would have died if it could not open it's gills.

Thanks for the report on sheeps.

·
Registered
468 Posts
i like to fish the afternoons out on the base when i get off work. i caught some really nice trout and reds this summer. i won't say where, but it sure as heel wasn't nasty ass portside. we shark fish down by the aircrew barracks. just don't get caught fishing past the sign 'cos the man will come and chase you out. the skipper watches that seawall like a hawk and is quick to call the law if you're just past the sign. good luck and tight lines.

p.s. don't forget those skitterwalks in the late afternoon. we tore 'em up on those last summer.:usaflag

·
Registered
114 Posts
NavySnooker (2/24/2009)i like to fish the afternoons out on the base when i get off work. i caught some really nice trout and reds this summer. i won't say where, but it sure as heel wasn't nasty ass portside. we shark fish down by the aircrew barracks. just don't get caught fishing past the sign 'cos the man will come and chase you out. the skipper watches that seawall like a hawk and is quick to call the law if you're just past the sign. good luck and tight lines.

p.s. don't forget those skitterwalks in the late afternoon. we tore 'em up on those last summer.:usaflag
I agree. I don't think there's a single line of NAS' shore that I didn't catch a decent fish off of most of last yr from early spring to early November. Were you there for the big bull red run during Tropical Storm Faye? Here's the biggest one caught by a Marine next to me. We were using ladyfish cutbait.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^

That's about the size of the fish with the plastic ring stuck around his head, I'm still trying to get the photo up.. A friend took it on his cell phone and the picture turned out pretty decent were just having a hard time sending it to my email..

Lets all cross our fingers for some nice weather this weekend, I would love to get out in the boat!:bowdown

·
Registered
114 Posts
There's always bruisers near NAS. Especially when tropical systems are near. All the bait seems to suck up in there and the fish follow. That same day hundreds and hundreds of blues, lady's and spanish laced that area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts