Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well we woke up at 6 in hopes to go offshore for snapper and grouper even though the forecast said 3-4ft seas. got to 17th st at 730ish and it was ROUGH at least 2-3 on the east side of the bridge so we stayed in the little cove before the train tressel trying to see bait and try out my new 7ft net. finaly saw a school and got about 100 lys on the first throw. we finaly decided to go for it around 8 and ran to the pass...well on the way to the pass we saw LOTS of boats on just about every inshore structure/fishing spot so we figured that wasnt good news. got to the pass and was met with 6-8ft rollers and like the forecast said 3-4 with a 15-20 knot east wind. we decided we didnt want to beat ourselves up just to get to the three barges so we stayed in shore. first we anchored up at pickens jetties in the INSANE current and we couldnt get 6 or 8 oz to stay put so we decided to pull anchor and drift for kings. well we got all the scope out of the line and then we were stuck we could not get the anchor to budge so we thought we hooked the jeep thats supposedly down there so we cleated it off and pulled it the opposite way it went in and it came up completely covered in clay that thing must have been 6ft under the mud. so we go and troll over some inshore spots we had and didnt get anything but a nice little spanish. then we anchored up over a spot and set the chum out to see if we could get ANYTHING to come. first drop and WHAM fish on bring it up and its a nice stud spanish right at 20 inches. so we figured it was gonna get better from there. but it didnt all we could get was short snapper and grouper. the highlight of the day was when i got my "trout rod" a captiva 2000 spooled with 10lb power pro ans threw a D.O.A terrorize. first cast something grabs it and it feels rather large and is pulling drag so i though it was a big spanish, so i gave the rod to a friend who hadent caught much...to make a LONG story short we went around the boat at least 10-15 times, had to pull anchor (so we didnt get spooled) and we started out in 20ft and ended up in 3ft. an hour and a half later we finaly got the BULL RED:banghead:banghead to the boat. it wasnt amonster either but a nice 34inches...took some pictures and let it go. now i know some people are gonna try to bash me for fighting a red for an hour and a half but when i got the little rod i was hoping for spanish and not expecting a red. but this thing fought like it was 50inches...i thought it was gonna take forever to revive but after about 5 seconds in the water it ripped out of my grip and headed for deeper water...some pics to enjoy.

·
Registered
848 Posts
That is a great story. And you made your buddy's day, when he landed it, after workin' that stud bull! What a blast!

nice Gag too!

Keep those stories comin'!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts