Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mahi Mayhem (video added)

I took my stepson Braxton and son-in-law Craig out today- hoping to find some large Snapper on some pyramids further out than we had been going. We got out the pass at daybreak today- found some nice cigar minnows just outside the rocks, loaded up on live bait and headed south....
Only to find out the 1ft seas were- well you know, not so much 1ft. We got out 15 miles and checked some pyramids and couldn't find any significant return on the sonar, and decided it was too rough for us to try snapper fishing there and headed back in- but then we find some weed patches not long into our retun (I noticed a couple birds and decided to check it out). I dropped my favorite Dorado daisy chain and before long the old Tiagra started screaming off- Only turned out to be a modest sized king. As I pulled him closer to the boat to unhook /release him, I spied it..... a mahi mahi. And as quick as I saw him- he was gone. I said "Game Time!"- we put that lure back out and a Dolphin Candy (on one of the King Rods)...
We trolled around the patches for a short time and something hit the Dolphin Candy /King Rod- line was screaming off. Off a ways I saw a large Bull lunge into the air "OMG!!" "It's a BIG Bull Dolphin!!!" I yelled. I told the guys to pull the other trolling rig and put the boat in gear to chase him down- By the time we did he had not slowed at all, I could see the backing on my reel. So headed into the sun, all I could tell Braxton to do is follow my rod tip- And we started to gain line on him. All we could see was the silhouette of this large magnificent fish jumping ahead of us.
I was starting to get some slack in the line and I told Braxton to back off the throttle- Then the fish ran back towards the stern of the boat- but something was wrong- as I worked my way back, I noticed the line wrapped back and forth- It had gotten hung on the ladder!!!!
(to be cont)

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
continued...

I quickly climbed onto the back of the boat and reached down with one free hand and felt down to the hinge of the ladder, just below the waterline- unhooked it from the bolt on the ladder hinge and let it loose as the bull bolted.... and I heard the 30# mono line "POP!" ...and he was gone!

:censored:

So, after a moment for me to ask God to forgive me for my temper- and we regrouped. I was not prepared for trolling today, and the only real Dolphin lure I had left on the boat was that daisy chain we had been using on my Tiagra 30. So, we redeployed and trolled around the weed mats some, and after a couple missed strikes, were fortunate to hook up on another (smaller) dolphin. Then we followed a textbook dolphin fishing procedure (we used to do in the keys)- We had 2 live bait spinning reels ready to go- 1st guy keeps one hooked up in the water (to keep the school close by) while the the 2nd guy baits and throws a hook out- the 3rd guy throws some candy (bait chunks or live chum) and gets 1st guy's fish on the boat- then the first guy baits and throws his line back out to get hooked up again.
We got 7 into the boat (average 30" FL) - and lost 3 (did I mention it was a little rough at 15 miles out?).
We thought it was a modest and special catch, and proceeded for calmer waters near shore.
We stopped at the first set of pyramids and tried for some snapper (and to snap the photo below)- but after a couple undersized, abandonded that plan- but I did put Craig on a King Mackerel (call me the Mackerel King)- His first. After we released it, we powered for Perdido Pass.
It was a rough but wonderful trip for Braxton and Craig (as neither had ever seen or caught live dolphin before), and this was also Craigs first landed King Mackerel. They thoughroughly enjoyed the sights and fight of these wonderful pelagics.

Now, a filler... We could have stayed out there and caught our limit of dolphin (or hunt for that big bull again), but those that have been following our adventures this week will know we already had a ton of King, and some Snapper- and for once since last years' Keys trip, I wasn't sure where I could put all this fish (and sitting here, I'm still not sure what to do with ALL of it). But with some out for cooking and King Dip, and a bunch in the freezer- we wanted to excersize our conservation ethics and leave the remainder of out limit of dolphin in the gulf for someone else.

As soon as I can get around to working on some video, I will add them to our YouTube channed and post them here on PFF.
In the meantime, by the time some of you read this Craig may be a Daddy and I Poppa as Cookies daughter (Brittany) is suppose to be induced to labor (monday morning) and bring us a wonderful (and soon to be spoiled rotten by her Nana) baby girl, Anna R. Walker.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Nice report. Those are fun size dolphin. I love catching those on spinning gear.

John

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,090 Posts
We were so tried being out in bluewater all day I ran right past the broken weeds to get home. Next time I'll know.

The weed patches are in close..

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Video addition

Here is the video I have from this trip. The big bull was not recorded because the seas were too rough and Braxton was at the helm and Craig was retrieveing the other trolling rig.

If you are having problems viewing this video, try watching it on YouTube by clicking on the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/aboutscubasteve/videos?view=0&shelf_index=0&sort=dd

Please "LIKE" our videos and be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel so you don't miss any of the fun.
Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts