Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Freshwater Flounder
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know this till my daughter told me this evening what she learned in her "Adulthood & Aging" class at UWF today.

Wearing sunglasses all the time can increase your risk of sunburn. Not that I doubted her, but I googled it up anyway so I'd have a link to post:

"Skin colour changes when you are exposed to the sun because your body is told to produce more melanin - skin pigment - by your pituitary gland.

Melanin stops your skin from absorbing ultraviolet light.

It is this ultraviolet light which has the effect of burning the skin.

But the pituitary gland only knows how much melanin to make from the signals it gets from the eye. If the eye says it's sunny, the pituitary gland goes into overdrive.

But with shades on, the gland is fooled so less melanin is produced - meaning a higher risk of burning." http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/questions/qotw/question/3263/

So you might want to think about taking those dark glasses off occasionally when you're gonna be out in the sun all day - like when you're fishing.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Skin cancer or eye damage.... pick your poison

I've noticed when I wear my glasses in the sun my cheeks and nose are more red at at the end of the day v.s. when I don't wear my glasses. Someone told me that the glasses are reflect the light and it was hitting those spots on my face. Dont know if thats true but it sounds believable to me

·
Freshwater Flounder
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skin cancer or eye damage.... pick your poison

I've noticed when I wear my glasses in the sun my cheeks and nose are more red at at the end of the day v.s. when I don't wear my glasses. Someone told me that the glasses are reflect the light and it was hitting those spots on my face. Dont know if thats true but it sounds believable to me
I'm thinking the idea might be if you're gonna be out in the sun all day to take your sunglasses off for 10 minutes or so every hour.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts