Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of yall feeding year around do you prefer planting a summer time food plot or keeping your feeders full or both? Do yall think it helps to feed year around or are we just wasting our money? Reason for these question is because this will be the first year I have feed year around. There are alot of guys in my hunting club that feeds year around and swear by it.:usaflag

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have become a firm believer in summer feeding. We plant around 20 acres on our 500 acre lease in Conecuh County every summer. We have not only seen a definite increase in mass of our horns, our deer seem to look healthier, and we attract alot of turkeys with it. We also see more sets of twins on our cameras.

Another non-expensive thing we do that I really like is salt licks. The bucks love it when they're growing their horns and I think the does love it even more when they have the little ones. They provide the deer with minerals that go directly to their horns, so I feel that salt licks are super important.

We didn't really see a big difference until our 3rd or 4th year, so you have to be patient. It will definitely pay off in the long run though!

·
Super Moderator
29,541 Posts
I usually feed/plant year round....this year I've been lazy. I'm gonna try mixing some corn and some kinda "goat" pellet they sell in Atmore. A buddy said he buys it by the ton snd it's cheaper then corn. It has a high protein yield and he said it smells sorta like molasses. Just like most protein pellets mix it w/ a low % then eventually raise it to 50%. If anyone knows about this pellet, PLEASE SPEAK UP....:toast

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I run 8 feeders on 208 acres and have 9 plots planted durring the summer. Here in the next few months we are going to plant strips on the edges of our plots with some kind of green that will carry through the fall and hold the deer while the winter plots mature. When ever there is a lack of production from our plots (when the seeds are maturing) I set the feeders to feed for 2 more seconds. This year we are going to be using supplements to promote antler growth and de worm the deer from august to october. I was advised to do so by a few people.

·
Registered
567 Posts
<div style="text-align: left;"><span style="font-style: italic;" id="ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl04_lblFullMessage">"This year we are going to be using supplements to promote antler growth and de worm the deer from august to october. I was advised to do so by a few people."<br style="font-style: italic;">
where i was hunting last year we were skinning one out and you could see a worm/parasite of some sort and it seemed to be between the skin and the meat layer. just out of curiosity, is this what you are talking about and what do you use to deworm deer.
<div style="text-align: center;">

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I don't remember the name of the product. It is new to me but the guy who has the feed store on sr-87 near I-10 knew what I was talking about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts