Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I live in the midwest and paddle around the lakes here. For a vacation, we are visiting my wife's family in Pensacola in mid October. Are my two Perception Pescador 12 kayaks suitable for going off shore from the Pensacola Beach/Fort Pickens area on nice days?

I don't plan on going very far off shore and just plan on touring (no fishing) up and down the beach BTB. My worry is that that area seems to occasionally lose kayaking tourists. For safety, we have Stohlquist PFD's and I bought a Standard Horizon HX300 floating VHF. Is there some danger I am not thinking of with my paddle kayaks? Dangers that catch new guys out besides not wearing PFD's.

I am looking at a Yellow 2016 Revolution 13 for the wife since she isn't as strong a paddler as I am, but I really don't need another toy taking up space around the house. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The pescadors should be fine. Watch the weather because conditions can change quickly, be wary of a strong north wind, wear the life jackets, tie down anything you don't want to lose but other than that if conditions are reasonable I think you guys will be fine.

Edit: oh and a hobie revo is what I fish out of. It's a sweet yak. Careful you may get her one and then decide you need one lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

Sounds like I will be good to go and I will watch the weather. The marine radio I bought has weather so in theory nothing can sneak up on us. In a pinch we could just kayak by the shore in the bay, or take them down some of the rivers people use for tube floating. Touring off the beach in the gulf just looked like something neat/new to try.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Those kayaks should be great for you trip here. I think you will really enjoy paddling off the beach, its a great way to see dolphins, rays, jellyfish and sea turtles and is just an enjoyable time. When my family visits they all ask me to take them out paddling, and they are not outdoorsy people. Yes, people have had accidents, but since your first post included life jackets, a vhf radio, and asked what you are missing, I put you in a class of people who seem prepared and aware of the dangers. There is lots of fun to be had near shore, you really dont have to go far out, and its maybe more enjoyable near the beach than far out where its all empty blue water and you cant see bottom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a Revo 13 today. Picking it up Friday. Put the wife in that and I figure I won't have to wait for her to catch up. Looks like I will have to add a leash for the drive (so it doesn't sink if she flips) and a bag to carry the drive in when I store the kayak.

I think this board turned me on to the Pescador 12 as a good first kayak to own. I am real happy with them so I will keep them for the river floats and some lakes. The Hobie Revo I knew about since it was the first kayak I ever tried when I rented two of them ($25 per day each). Those rental Revolutions didn't come with the drive and I couldn't figure why there was a plug in the footwell. I thought it was for fishing through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts