Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday I am making the 11 hour trip to Grassy Point Campground for the week. Will spend most of my time at the campground fishing out of my canoe.

Would like to take a day and do some different fishing. Either pier, surf, or maybe renting a kayak and fishing off the beach.

What do you guys think would give me the best option of catching fish. Navarre Pier, Okaloosa Pier, Surf (where?), or renting the kayak. Have never kayak fished off the beach.

Don't really care what I catch. However it is always a bonus if I can keep a couple to eat.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Trevor

·
Super Moderator
28,496 Posts
If you never have gulf fished from a yak, DEF wear PFD while out there and select a flat day. If you have the gear, I would just be a pier rat and try that from either Navarre or Okaloosa. Since you are going to be closer to Navarre that would be best. You will have a variety of species around your camp area and should be able to catch a few dinners while you are there. Enjoy yourself!!!

Reactions: rthensley

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Saturday I am making the 11 hour trip to Grassy Point Campground for the week. Will spend most of my time at the campground fishing out of my canoe.

Would like to take a day and do some different fishing. Either pier, surf, or maybe renting a kayak and fishing off the beach.

What do you guys think would give me the best option of catching fish. Navarre Pier, Okaloosa Pier, Surf (where?), or renting the kayak. Have never kayak fished off the beach.

Don't really care what I catch. However it is always a bonus if I can keep a couple to eat.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Trevor
If you mean the Grassy Point area on Blackwater, don't forget to bring a cast net and some gear for bottom rigs. This time of year you can catch finger mullet and small LY in that semi-cove area between that bayou mouth where the campground is and Escribano Point (the large sandy point that sticks out into Blackwater Bay with the signpost on it). I know people that will sometimes catch redfish off the end of that point on live bait off the end of the point casted out toward the bay. Set yourself a lawn chair, talk to the folks who use that sandbar as a picnic/swimming spot, and maybe get a bite here and there.

Good luck!

Reactions: rthensley

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.

I was there in April and was warned about alligators and meth heads. :) To my knowledge, did not see either. Nobody mentioned black flies. Have the bug spray packed.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Call reel way charters. Capt. Kenny Way. Book him for a few hours to go catch a pile of fish. Worth it to charter at least one time to learn a bit about the area.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts