Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a better battery setup in my Outback for my fish finder to run on.Currently using AA's.
I heard a deer feeder battery will work,went to Academy and they have 2,6 or 12 volt.What do you suggest.
Is hooking it up a problem?I'm the worlds worst electrician.

Thanks, Robin

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
I now use a standard 12v gel battery.

I took the gear bucket(shallow) that came with my Outback and cut out enough of the plastic to be able to snugly fit the battery in it. I also cut a little notch out of the edge to run in my wires.

For the wiring, its just 12v battery sized push-on terminals and the fuse that came with my fishfinder. Since I place my battery in the rear hatch(out of the way and secured), I got a bunch of extra wire to run it to the back. I think it was 16 gauge.

I would have taken pictures and uploaded, but I have a 18mo crawling all over me right now...

·
Aw hell.
92 Posts
I use a 12v 4Ah gel cell mounted in a piece of 1/2" foam that's epoxied to the floor of my kayak in-hull. I picked up the battery including the charger for $35 from Hobby Central on N. Davis Hywy between Langley and Creighton...its just infront of Jo-anne fabrics in the strip mall. The battery's about 5"x3"x4"T and I get a good 9-10 hours of charge out of it if I charge it to 13v and run it until 12.3v. I'm powering a Garmin 200 fishfinder.

A little math...

Watts = Volts * Amps
or
Watts = Volts squared / Ohms = Amps squared * ohms

The average fishfinder operates on a "12v" supply with 12.5v being about optimum. By reading the back of your FF you should be able to pull out the amp draw at different power settings. A milliamp is 1/1000th of an amp i.e. 300mA = 0.3A. a 4Ah battery will provide 4 amps for 1 hour...or 1 amp for 4 hours...or 300mA for 13.3 hours (4Ah / 0.3A)...etc, etc. Knowing this will help you choose the right battery in case you want to plan for more toys on the same battery...just in case ;)

Hope this helps..
-Matt

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use the 12 Volt and be sure to put a fuse in the line. I have a complete workshop and will help you hook it up if you want.
Thanks,I'll take you up on that.Do you have a favorite adult beverage?
I live off of Diamond St. up from Chet's.

Robin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts