Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we headed up thIs weekend late but there none the less. Dillian sat on the food plot, I sat on the clear cut and JJ and my Wife sat in the road house. Dillian was the only one who saw any, Sat. Evening or Sunday. He saw a spike Sat. Evening but he knows we are only shooting big bucks and does. So he let him walk. That was all that was seen Sat.

So Sunday morning up at 4:30, out the camper door bout 5:45 almost too late, again. Dropped Dillian off on the food plot this time with instructions to take anything legal, im ready for stuffed and wrapped backstrap. I head down to the clearcut. Wife and JJ are within walking distance of the camper when they decide to get up and get out there! I get settled in the clearcut looking around snacking drinkin some juice texting everybody making sure we are all settled in. Surf the internet for a while. Main reason i like this stand, reception, lol. Bout 9 i texted Dillian told him its gettin prime time and gonna sit till 10:30-11 he didnt answer then asked if he had seen anything he txt no. 10 minutes latter, i hear the shot, heard it impact and knew it was him.

I was texting him and he called, " I got one, its a buck" I asked if it was the 4 pt, he said " yep" well ok. Lets wait an hour or so, maybe a doe will come out. Hour passes, i head back to get momma and brother. Load up and head to the plot. Almost there and a damn doe standing in the road looking at us. I eat breaks tell the wife to burry her head inbetween her legs hold there ears and let one fly out the window. Just low, I havent had a chance to bench site the guns since getting them Friday. Just a solid rest and 100yrd target within a 3" group.

So make it to the plot ask Dillian to show where he shot. He did, showed me where the deer fell and rolled, and where he went in the woods at. Look, look, look...... no blood??? I start a short grid, tell them to back out and hang out. I find a beaten trail and finally some blood. Mark it. Few yards latter, little more blood. This goes on for about 35 yrds down hill then holly crap a 3" bone and a small pool. Gotta be close. Find a few more spots after 1 hr of searching and 50 yrds in the woods, no deer. Im hungry, thirsty, gotta take the browns to the supper bowl. Time for a quick break.

Some grub, drink pit stop and back to the last sighting of blood. Crawl around on all fours no luck. Find a beaten trail begin walking beside it as not to disturb it. And a few more drops and a little pool. Then nothing for a while. 35 minutes go by and i decide to walk toward the creek, make it, nothing. Found alot of nice intersecting trails and sign but no deer or blood. Turn around get back to last spot, persue a diffrent trail, ask for some help from above, because I am getting a little discouraged. Round a tree and more blood another small bone fragment. Holly shoot he has to be close?

It has been 3 hours since we started now and after the last splat nothing else around??? I squat and start looking again for disturbed brush layed over sticks and running tracks. Follow a trail that looks good then there is more blood, good blood, and again, and again! Then 3 big logs laid across the trail. Shurely he didnt make it? First one, drops on other side, second yep another little pool, third, nothing? Double back see a trail going around and a couple drops. Man he has to be close. Find another small pool, then another with fresher blood and then nothing!! Do a 360?? Nothing trail is gone no blood. 30 minutes pass with us walking around in a circle looking closely loosing faith.

I paused look to the sky again and asked for help. Walked back to the last pool, looked west into the bushes and HOLLY CRAP, " Dillian there he is, dont move, he is looking at us" layed down head up as a dog would be looking at you from the yard. I have of course left the gun in the truck at camp no pistol and affraid with the knife if i got any closer than I was already he would bolt? Make Dillian walk slowly to a log and sit. I back out haul butt back to the plot grab the quad and haul arse to the truck. Ask the wife to bring it down, grab the riffle and make my way back through the brush. Get to Dillian and after him starring at it for 15 minutes. He cant finish the job. I take a fatal shot and end the battle. 200 yrd drag up hill then up the last 40 yrds @ a 50 degree slope and I colapse at the edge of the plot. Ask for a drink as my fat arse recovers. Get him loaded and to the skinnin rack.

He broke both ftont legs in one side of the chest cavity and out the other leaving a 8" hole in the lower chest cavity and never touched a vital!!

Bad shot or the gun is not 100% either way, never give up, and always have faith in the lord. I walked within 10 feet of that deer a dozen times. Without guidance I never would have found him, thankyou Lord!!

first picture is entrance on the left shoulder and the 8" hole. second is the second entrance and then the exit. Shooting 130 Grain hornady ssx out of a .270

·
Super Moderator
29,541 Posts
Dern straight, way ta get it done brother!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts