Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out fishing last night in Destin and couldn't believe the seaweed. It was such a disappointment. It was the real slimy stuff that sticks to your line and lure, and you have to pick it off every cast.

When is that crap supposed to go away?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I've had very few chances to go hit the surf for some Pomps this year and did good 3 times, but the other trips wound up calling it off when I got to the beach. You aren't the only one, I think this year has been one of the worst years for that stuff.
Hopefully it will clear out soon!
Toght Lines!
Chris

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hit Pensacola Beach this morning and there was a ton of june grass in the water. After a few hours the water cleared a little bit out by the sand bar and I was able to catch a couple of 18 inch ladyfish. Hopefully it clears up soon.

·
Professional bad ass
527 Posts
Maybe they should rename it Annoying Warm Water grass instead of June grass. You never know exactly when it'll be here or exactly when it'll stop coming... It sure does irritate anyone wishing to surf fish thats for sure

·
Registered
8 Posts
June grass almost year round now

I've surfished from Navaree to Ft. Morgan about 40 years and have seen it progressively get worse and last longer year after year. We've always called it "Martian Snot". I have no idea what causes it but I suspect it's extra nutrients in the Gulf and for some reason it seems to collect around Navarre more than other places. It seems like the Navarre area has more Red Tides too, maybe they are related. It also is not near as bad in the Ft. Morgan area. You would think with all the pollutants in Mobile bay it would be worse. We need some scientific research on the mess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good article

I guess the oil spill has caused people to pay more attention to the condition of the beach. Trust me and ask any old timer that's fished the surf, the stuff has gotten worse over the decades. I guess if it were here 12 months out of the year people other than surf fishers would be concerned about it. It has to be too much fertilizer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts