Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all the yak fisherman out there! I just realized that grouper season just opened up and i would love to get some in the cooler. Are there any spots that are in the bay or close to shore that i can yak to? I dont mind paddling out about a 1 1/2 miles. If you would share some public spots or some secret honey holes i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks yall, tight lines

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Yes there are a lot of structure within a couple miles of beach but the private stuff you're going to have to put the time in to find. When u troll, zoom in on the bottom and look for any slight change or fish in the water column. Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you both for the information! im in the process of getting a bottom finder, but until then Im just gonna have to hit and miss.

·
Registered
329 Posts
jimbo , if we go out this weekend ive got a gps I can bring for the coordinates and hopefully my fishfinder/gps will be here , supposed to be in today or tom. but it wasn't here today.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Looks like you've got some good info on how to find the structure. As for actually catching grouper, best bet is to take some time either on the 2nd sandbar or just past on the drop off with a sabiki rig and get some lively baits. Big hardtails will be best but you can use anything live you catch.

Best way to get grouper on a kayak is to drop a big live bait down to the bottom and come up 1-3 cranks (depending on leader length). Lay your rod across the gunnel of the kayak and wait till it gets bowed over. Once that happens, DO NOT try to lift the rod off the kayak's gunnel, keep it there and start cranking. First few times you might not be able to pull this off but try to pay attention to what the waves are doing with your kayak, the goal is to not reel when the waves are picking you up and to start cranking when the waves are bringing you back down.

Good luck!
Alex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts