Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I will probably wait until about November or so. My favorite type of fishing is sight fishing. I love to run the bar and look for redfish and Pompano. Also love running crab buoys looking for Triple Tail. I purchased my 20' Pioneer CC a couple of years ago and it has been a great boat. In fact it is still worth what I paid for it if not slightly more. I would like to stay around 25' or so and no more than 200k. Boats with upper stations are few and far between. Below are a few of the sleds I am considering. Please let me know if you guys like one over the other, and why. Or maybe you know of another brand or model that fits my requirements. My #1 choice is a Pathfinder 2500 Hybrid

Second choice is an Everglades 243CC

Third Choice is a Skeeter

I like this Crevalle but I know nothing about these boats

This Blue Wave is an option as well but I don't know anything about these either.

I love this old restored Aquasport but the engine has too many hours.

Tell me what you guys think about these and any other you might consider.

·
Bearded Brotula
16,101 Posts

Crawled around on one of these a little while back. Nice set up. They had one with a 425 on it.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Crawled around on one of these a little while back. Nice set up. They had one with a 425 on it.
No upper station..
No Thanks
#1 requirement is an upper station

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No way I’m paying that for a Crevelle or Blue Wave. If your budget is that much I’m buying Yellowfin or like mentioned above the Contender Bay.
I like the Yellowfin 26 Hybrid but I don't want twin engines and I DO NOT want Mercury power.

·
Bearded Brotula
16,101 Posts

Reactions: Boardfeet

·
Super Moderator
21,895 Posts
I like the Yellowfin 26 Hybrid but I don't want twin engines and I DO NOT want Mercury power.

Then get it with a single Yamaha. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’ve never been a fan of mercury but they are killing Yamaha and Suzuki right now, especially in the big CC game. I wouldn’t hesitate to run one.

·
Bearded Brotula
16,101 Posts
Definitely not the Mercury of old.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Back in the 70's and 8's we ran Mercuries in the duck woods almost exclusively. They got better fuel economy and ran faster than the omc engines. No one had Yamaha or Zuke back then.

I prefer a Yamaha or a Suzuki. They have been proven over the years. I had a Mercury 225 Optimax several years ago.
It spent a lot of time in the shop. It would be hard to convince me to go back to a Merc. I know the Verados are better but I like the tried and true, Yamaha or Suzuki.
I also prefer to purchase a used boat with low hours. You get more bang for the buck. Like the Skeeter above that belongs to Scott Martin.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do
Shoulder must be feeling much better...going to make up for lost time?
Doc says I can go fishing 6 weeks from now.
I can take the boat out now, just no fishing. Looking to buy in the winter when prices are somewhat lower, and demand is less.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Your first choice is a good one. That model hasn't been out long though, so probably not many on the pre-owned market. I've tested several Everglades. Not the smoothest ride and too many gadgets to break for my taste. I have fished on Skeeter bays (Yamaha-owned). Nice ride, roomy but finish not top of line (plastic tubs in compartments, etc).

Avenger Bays are made by the same company as Pioneer. Haven't seen any with second station, though. Sportsman are rugged as well.

You might look at Gause-Built, Dorado and the Aqua-Sport restores. Very popular for tarpon fishing in Southwest Florida and have the capability to do the style of fishing you prefer.

Check your PMs

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
So I am in the same position as of yesterday. Wife said she wants a new boat. I am looking at same type and upper station is a requirement as well.

I would add Seaborn FX25, Robalo 246SD, Blackjack 256 Bay, and a Tideline 235.

If you can find a Tideline with a tower, it will be used to meet your budget but there was one that recently sold for $189k. The owner of that company is a really good dude.

I like the Sportsman better than the Pathfinder hybrid from a pure fishing standpoint. I cannot recall what it was but my wife hated the PF Hybrid. If we go PF it will be a TRS.

I do not like the Everglades tower as it feels cramped. The Robalo SD is probably the most comfortable tower I have been in. The Crevalle is nice looking but has that Everglades feel to me with drawers and buttons everywhere. Sort of like it is a large boat scaled down a bit to small.

The Blackjack is very roomy and fishes well. I like the layout. I have never fished theres with a tower but climbed all over one at a boat show. They were very reasonably priced.

I have never been on the Seaborn but seems well liked by those that own them. I would like to see one.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts