Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i fix my drag on my okuma? i think i stripped out the drag. i was fishing on monday and tried to tight it down and nothing. it tightened down but the bail was still loose. thanks for the help in advance.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
take it to a reel repair shop and have the drag rebuilt.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
been thinking about buying a good reel to put on my rods. but i like that okuma too. we shall see. need to hit lostkey tackle while there sale is going on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Diddo, buy a shimano, if you want "no drag" problems. seems that everytime i go out fishin and come back and rinse my poles with freash water, my drag doesnt work. not only that, but the guide doesnt move when i pull the drag out. to fix the problem, i have had to take the reel completely apart/clean/grease and reassemble. Pain in the ass when you find out it dont work when you are on the boat anticipating hooking into fish, only to borrow your buddies reel.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=9 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_trRow2><TD class=TableCell_Light id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_tdPostCell3 vAlign=top width="24%" nowarp=""></TD><TD class=TableCell_Light id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_tdPostCell4 vAlign=top width="76%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_lblFullMessage>Sorry can't let everyone get away with this...

Buy a Penn and forget about your drag problems</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Yea you only have to worry about the rest of the reel. They are pure junk, that is why they almost went belly up and have been bought and sold a few times in the last 5 or soyears and are now owned by Shakespeare. Penns are throw away reels, use them once or twice and chuck them overboard and then buy a new one

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i bought a shimano tld 15 with penn rod from lost key tackle. haven't had a chance to use it yet. maybe this weekend i will. then i will let ya know. still gonna get the okuma fixed though. still new to this saltwater fishing stuff. thanks for all the replys. everybody kicks ass.:usaflag

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you still need to get your reel fixed you should really check out the Rod N Reel Depot. You can reach Ron at 458-0428 he has a really fast turnaround on rod and reel repairs and he also sells rods and reels. I bring him some consignment rods and hand gaffs he also has a few reels I have dropped off to consign as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
lobsterman (11/21/2007)<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=9 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_trRow2><TD class=TableCell_Light id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_tdPostCell3 vAlign=top width="24%" nowarp=""></TD><TD class=TableCell_Light id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_tdPostCell4 vAlign=top width="76%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_lblFullMessage>Sorry can't let everyone get away with this...

Buy a Penn and forget about your drag problems</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Yea you only have to worry about the rest of the reel. They are pure junk, that is why they almost went belly up and have been bought and sold a few times in the last 5 or soyears and are now owned by Shakespeare. Penns are throw away reels, use them once or twice and chuck them overboard and then buy a new one

im not trying to be rude or a smart ass

but what model penns are throw aways

·
Registered
322 Posts
willie joe (12/16/2007)
lobsterman (11/21/2007)<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=9 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_trRow2><TD class=TableCell_Light id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_tdPostCell3 vAlign=top width="24%" nowarp=""></TD><TD class=TableCell_Light id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_tdPostCell4 vAlign=top width="76%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_lblFullMessage>Sorry can't let everyone get away with this...

The Penn 420ss I used to catch bait with offshore had its drag locked up. I chunked it overboard:banghead and then bought a shimano 2500 stradic:)The only Penn that I will use now is a 706z.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
willie joe (12/16/2007)

I'm guessing my internationals are throw away reels willie joe, since they're penns. I guess I don't catch enough or big enough fish to put them to the test, because i've yet to have any significant problems out of them

·
Registered
624 Posts
will say this the older penns are good reels but the new ones are pure garbage. not worth the powder to blow them up. i love my 706 and the old ss series reels. these are the only penn reels i recomend.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts