Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when is the best time of year to target stripers? Is one basin better then another....ie....blackwater, yellow river, Escambia river? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
USUALLY - Nov.-thru- Jan is good.
Go in the worst weather you can handle, the colder the better. I like cold rainy, foggy mornings they tend to feed longer in the mornings in this type of weather.

All our river systems have stripers and/or hybrids in them...some are better at different times so there is no 1 BEST spot.

If you want to use live bait, go w/ a free-lined live mullet 8-10" long in a deep high current location. As for artificials: I've caught them on jigs, suspending jerk baits, mirro-dines, top water walk-the-dog lures and so on...if they're eating, you'll know it by the water boiling and bait fleeing for their lives.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol...tried to make the question as general as possible. I know better then to ask for exact spots or what use. I lived and fished Choctaw bay the last 10 years and they don't have them there, but now live in Milton so still learning this area.
Go in the worst weather you can handle, the colder the better. I like cold rainy, foggy mornings they tend to feed longer in the mornings in this type of weather.

All our river systems have stripers and/or hybrids in them...some are better at different times so there is no 1 BEST spot.

If you want to use live bait, go w/ a free-lined live mullet 8-10" long in a deep high current location. As for artificials: I've caught them on jigs, suspending jerk baits, mirro-dines, top water walk-the-dog lures and so on...if they're eating, you'll know it by the water boiling and bait fleeing for their lives.
Great info...thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Awesome info...!

·
Squid technician
10,510 Posts
Everybody has covered it pretty well, especially the cold weather part. High pressure turns the bite up, kind of like bull reds. I’ll add that periods around the full moon have always been very good for me as well, especially the three day period leading up to it. I prefer jerkbaits over other artificials, but catch them on a variety of things. They’re also a TON of fun on fly, with muddlers and bigger baitfish patterns being best. Finding bait is usually critical and the best action is always in bait-rich, high current areas. They aren’t very tackle shy, I usually go with 30lb leader.
Water Boat Watercraft Fish Fisherman

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'm in agreement with the cold front moving in Misérable cold wet day is best for real stripper. That's the truth.Up here the best time to catch those and Big Hybrids are at the dam's in the first couple of hours before daylight. They seem to bite better at night here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dock lights are the ticket.

That said, those of you that typically night fish for them, do you find that they typically key in on a certain bait, and a certain bait only, or is that just me?

·
Super Moderator
29,863 Posts
You will catch em on dock lights but not the monsters people usually target....biggest I have ever caught in the lights are a couple lb fish. The monsters are in the depths and structure....

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Dock lights are the ticket.

That said, those of you that typically night fish for them, do you find that they typically key in on a certain bait, and a certain bait only, or is that just me?
I have only fished damns for them. They are not picky there. Its more about when they bite. People catch them on everything from chicken liver to artificial. Saying that I know a guy that fishes Smith lake that says they are really picky and if you are not fishing with what and the size bait fish they are feeding on your wasting your time.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I am convinced of the following:
Live bait beats artificials 4 or 5 to 1.
Live bait from the water you're fishing beats store-bought.
Catching live bait is a pain in the ass.
Stripers are spooky like deer. They shut down/run from outboard noise. They will do the same for trolling motor noise if it's off/on, off/on. They tend to tolerate slow, monotonous steady speeds.
In clear water, they will see you standing and casting and will do the deer thing.
In clear water, flourocarbon outfishes regular mono.
In clear water, red circles hooks outfish silver.
First light until sunup, and sundown until dark are the very best times to fish.

Soooo, if you bait up with live bait caught from where you're fishing, hook it with a red circle hook tied to flourocarbon, slow troll it a long way from the boat using slow speed on your trolling motor, keep your movement below the gunnels, and fish the first light/last light periods, you might get a bite.
Water Green Sky Fisherman Sleeve
Water Sky Cloud Vertebrate Fisherman
Water Vertebrate Sky Fisherman Outdoor recreation
Water Vertebrate Sky Fisherman Outdoor recreation
Fin Food Fish Seafood Fish products
Fin Food Fish Seafood Fish products
Food Seafood Fish Ingredient Staple food
Water Smile Sky Muscle Lingerie top
Water Smile Sky Muscle Lingerie top

Reactions: jwilson1978

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
The reason some of the pics look like a double click is because I practice catch and release, and we sometimes catch the same fish over and over again. Or possibly because I'm a dumbass when it comes to posting pictures.
The pistol is for the mosquitoes.

• Haha
Reactions: jwilson1978

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
The reason some of the pics look like a double click is because I practice catch and release, and we sometimes catch the same fish over and over again. Or possibly because I'm a dumbass when it comes to posting pictures.
The pistol is for the mosquitoes.
The pistol is for the mosquitoes. :LOL::ROFLMAO: I hear you!!!! You fishing the Coosa?

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Tallapoosa. Water is too warm in the Coosa to grow trophy stripers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts