Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With some cooler weather coming Wednesday evening do you think the Stripers will start hitting? it was mid October last year when they blew up. Can't wait till they blow up this year.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
With some cooler weather coming Wednesday evening do you think the Stripers will start hitting? it was mid October last year when they blew up. Can't wait till they blow up this year.
yes, last year around this time frame they started their run.

EG, BW/Yellow River/East River delta's/rivers will have stripers

·
Registered
665 Posts
Brant is definalty one of the best guides when it comes to stripers.
The majority of stripers and hybrids you will find will be either on blackwater or escambia. My dad is a biologist with the FWC and he raises them up at the hatchery in blackwater. They typically stock a couple hundered thousand fingerlings every year on both escambia and blackwater. When we target them we typically use large rapala or smithwick suspending baits in either a silver/black color or gold/black. Another great bait for them is white deer tail grubs tipped with shrimp. I'll post a pic later of some of the jigs and baits we use for them. Once you locate the stripers or hybrids I would suggest switching to live bait if you can. The big stripers can be very picky at times around here and their eyes are huge, unless they are in a frenzy they can generaly tell when a bait is fake. PM if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You can start catching the smaller stripers and hybrids now, but the bigger ones are more prevalent and active with much colder water. I use suspended rapalas early and late and even into the night hours. Live finger mullet is by far the best bait.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
redtracker, caught a good size one for this area awhile back. Ive caught them bream and menhaden before.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
great tips...
Do i need to have a fresh water fishing license if I'm fishing escambia river up 87?...where is the line drawn btw...between salt and fresh water...
You need a fresh water license to fish for Stripers. Forget about a line drawn. Same for speckled trout and reds you need saltwater no mater how far up river they go.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts