Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Surely you understand why people are annoyed with SL, right? Surely you see that SL(and others) have completely disincentivized individuals from creating reefs, right?
That's MY point...other than the public notice of hacking...why single SL out? Navionics, Hilton's, Fishing Status...NUMEROUS companies sell subscriptions to spots...some public and some private. I don't have a problem with that. Florida has thousands of spots. To me, this argument is akin to complaining that someone doesn't like the color blue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Surely you understand why people are annoyed with SL, right? Surely you see that SL(and others) have completely disincentivized individuals from creating reefs, right?
I do understand how people can be annoyed with Strikelines. While it may be that they are the bad guy here, what they did was legal. It seems to me that there was some confusion in the agreement between the reef builders and the state as to what private meant. It sounds like the state authorized a lot of people to build public reefs using private money. It doesn’t look like the state ever agreed that the reef locations would be kept secret, because it appears they made the locations public from the beginning. If the state made the locations public from the beginning then either people misunderstood the agreement or the agreement was misrepresented by the state. If it was me and it was misrepresented, then I would be annoyed at the state.

·
Registered
763 Posts
That's MY point...other than the public notice of hacking...why single SL out? Navionics, Hilton's, Fishing Status...NUMEROUS companies sell subscriptions to spots...some public and some private. I don't have a problem with that. Florida has thousands of spots. To me, this argument is akin to complaining that someone doesn't like the color blue.
So you mean to tell me Navionics has the coordinates to the 4 or 5 school buses my Pa sank out there 40 years ago before it became regulated and there is absolutely ZERO public record of... and is selling them to people?? OK boss...

·
Registered
71 Posts
SL sells numbers off North Carolina as well
And commercial spearfisherman come up from Florida to clean out the Grouper and Hogfish from our reefs. I may not like it, but It’s legal and nothing I can do about it. Modern technology has changed the game, and unless you can pass laws to stop it, you just have to learn to adapt to it. The more fishing pressure increases, the more these issues will become conflicts.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I do understand how people can be annoyed with Strikelines. While it may be that they are the bad guy here, what they did was legal. It seems to me that there was some confusion in the agreement between the reef builders and the state as to what private meant. It sounds like the state authorized a lot of people to build public reefs using private money. It doesn’t look like the state ever agreed that the reef locations would be kept secret, because it appears they made the locations public from the beginning. If the state made the locations public from the beginning then either people misunderstood the agreement or the agreement was misrepresented by the state. If it was me and it was misrepresented, then I would be annoyed at the state.
You dont understand how people can be annoyed with Strikelines because I can only assume you have never spent your hard earned money and time building reefs.

I am not arguing anything about what happened in court. I dont care what happened. I just said it was ironic, because it is extremely ironic.

Reefs are fair game once they are in the water but it's a low life SOB that would mark another mans reef and then SELL it. It is the selling of the number that is $h1tty.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Read my post again, I never said I didn’t understand why you could be upset.

You dont understand how people can be annoyed with Strikelines because I can only assume you have never spent your hard earned money and time building reefs.

I am not arguing anything about what happened in court. I dont care what happened. I just said it was ironic, because it is extremely ironic.

Reefs are fair game once they are in the water but it's a low life SOB that would mark another mans reef and then SELL it. It is the selling of the number that is $h1tty.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The only way to decrease pressure is to increase the amount of reefs(habitat).
I agree with you. I posted the following information to Boat-dude because I thought he was interested in getting more public reefs created, and I thought it would help him get something organized.
If you think about it more large public reefs will attract the majority of recreational fisherman due to the ease of anchoring over productive bottom. I would think that it would help reduce the pressure on the smaller privately created reefs where anchoring skills become more important and more difficult.

Boat-dude,
Thinking more about what you said, I think it is a good idea! Maybe a good place to start would be with PFF, PFF members, local tackle shops etc. I live in SE North Carolina and the reefs that have been created here have been funded by the Long Bay Reef Association. If you want I’ll see if I can a contact point for you as it may help with determining how to create a similar organization.
Here is a link to the Long Bay Artificial Reef Association.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,982 Posts
I agree with you. I posted the following information to Boat-dude because I thought he was interested in getting more public reefs created, and I thought it would help him get something organized.
If you think about it more large public reefs will attract the majority of recreational fisherman due to the ease of anchoring over productive bottom. I would think that it would help reduce the pressure on the smaller privately created reefs where anchoring skills become more important and more difficult.
What part don't you grasp? WHY would People want to spend their hard earn income building and deploying reefs if SL and the like scans and sells the numbers?
Since you're depth of penetration is shoulder deep in our affairs, how about you coming on down here and start paying to have reefs made and deployed here along the gulf coast since you are so interested in "helping".
Also, help out SL too, and email them the numbers so they don't have to spend their time scanning for them.
You do this Brahh, and you can meddle in our affairs anytime you want.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Breaking news! New reef making its way down the Mississippi to the GOM!
image.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
More breaking news! Coastal fisherman do not need to spend precious $$$ to build any more man man reefs! Antifa has just announced that all remaining historical statues and memorials will be donated to those in need of artificial reefs. This is the extream left at work for the good of the Dems.
Here's the list...

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I thought at one time we had a local reef association? Their yard use to be located behind Joe Patti's. There was also someone on here that had a barge and crane for deploying reefs. Are these still active?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
If you were allowed to sink old school buses, washing machines, and old boats there would likely be a lot of people putting down personal reefs despite the likelihood that someone like Strikelines would eventually find it. The biggest deterrent that I see for private reefs is the permitting process and that the list of approved materials is pretty limited. The capability for your average Joe to haul and deploy 5 tons of concrete rubble off-shore is not feasible without paying someone to do it. Not that I don't see the need for regulations to prevent everyone from turning the Gulf into their own personal landfill and to ensure that stuff doesn't wind up getting dumped in the shipping lanes.

I think the solution is to lobby for more public reefs like was done with the old I-10 bridge and now the three-mile bridge. It is my understanding that Gulf Power is about to have a whole big pile of rubble beginning this next year.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Was this someone known to be selling numbers?
BEN,
Strikline did nothing to your fishing spots. They are in public domain and they belong to all that find them. Why is it you think because you put down reef in the gulf that belongs to all that you have something that belongs to you?
I am not going to crowd anyone on a spot I have more than I can fish already, BUT if I find a new spot I will fish it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
BEN,
Strikline did nothing to your fishing spots. They are in public domain and they belong to all that find them. Why is it you think because you put down reef in the gulf that belongs to all that you have something that belongs to you?
I am not going to crowd anyone on a spot I have more than I can fish already, BUT if I find a new spot I will fish it.
Nobody has said, if you find something you can't fish it, I have been talking about them "StrikeLines" actively searching out and stealing then selling!!!!!!!!! I guarantee you, not a sole at StrikeLines has mapped and found something for their fishing pleasure....
I spend a lot of time and energy not to mention gas looking for Big Fish, have been all my life and the last thing I want to have happen, is a bunch of Yahoo's finding it and fishing it out, because they know nothing about, Quality not Quantity fishing.
It then becomes everyone's favorite spot just like most of the stuff in the bay.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Come on, there are so many spots, public and so called private-public out there and constantly more going down. Anyone can go out and catch a limit. The snapper are on all the bay numbers due to the regulations. The Grouper and Flounder need some more regulations put on them. Flounder should be completely closed to everyone for at least 2 or 3 years, Nov-January.

Reactions: CurDog
101 - 120 of 120 Posts