Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
The above may be a good idea, but lets examine the other side also.... Reef found, cords compared, no matches, state must retrieve for illegal dumping and SL gets paid for finding it and trash gets cleaned up by state. Whose gonna pay? Fishing License holders of coarse cause that's who the rev has to come from to clean up the mess. Agree? Just a thought.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
806 Posts
I also feel even tho the "private" reefs aren't that private if found, I believe Strikelines and other companies that do this type of business, should pay a royalty fee (to be determined by the court) per each sale of their numbers, to each entity (person) that paid and deployed the reefs.
Sl's would have to check their "found reef" gps coordinates against the ones filed with the clerk in each county. Iif there is a match (within close proximity) of what's on file, then whoever paid to put it deployed is the one to receive a royalty from each and every sale made by SL or other same type businesses.
Agreed.

Going on my own rant here. EVERYBODY consuming natural resource from the water salt or fresh for a commercial interest, should have to pay some sort of consumption fee.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The above may be a good idea, but lets examine the other side also.... Reef found, cords compared, no matches, state must retrieve for illegal dumping and SL gets paid for finding it and trash gets cleaned up by state. Whose gonna pay? Fishing License holders of coarse cause that's who the rev has to come from to clean up the mess. Agree? Just a thought.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
There didn't used to be any reef deploying law back in the day. Lots of fishermen and charter captains dumped all kinds of stuff in the water for many, many years. So just because there might be no matching coordinates, does not mean that it was dumped illegally as there was no law before.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I personally believe the person (hacker) actually electronically stole the numbers should be prosecuted whether they were sold or not.
I also feel even tho the "private" reefs aren't that private if found, I believe Strikelines and other companies that do this type of business, should pay a royalty fee (to be determined by the court) per each sale of their numbers, to each entity (person) that paid and deployed the reefs.
Sl's would have to check their "found reef" gps coordinates against the ones filed with the clerk in each county. Iif there is a match (within close proximity) of what's on file, then whoever paid to put it deployed is the one to receive a royalty from each and every sale made by SL or other same type businesses.
I mean if it wasn't for the people "paying" for their reefs and to have them deployed, SL would not be in this type of business (selling non-public reef numbers).
just my .02
I disagree, there are many different companies mapping the bottom and selling the enhanced mapping that has little to nothing to do with so called private reefs. While the private reefs may enhance the value, if they weren’t there the enhanced maps would still be of value in locating prime fishing areas. If you want to go the route of monetizing the value of a privately created reef, you may find yourself paying for the privilege of fishing it.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,555 Posts
I remember when I was a kid at the Marina when we had charter boats that would put wood platforms on their boats in the winter months and would deploy everything from car bodies/ shopping carts/cigarette machines on an on for months. Now you don't see it anymore because the nanny state moved in and said NO!!!!

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,555 Posts
I disagree, there are many different companies mapping the bottom and selling the enhanced mapping that has little to nothing to do with so called private reefs. While the private reefs may enhance the value, if they weren’t there the enhanced maps would still be of value in locating prime fishing areas. If you want to go the route of monetizing the value of a privately created reef, you may find yourself paying for the privilege of fishing it.
The public reefs are already clearly marked on an interactive map!!! The only reason for mapping the gulf is to FIND the private reefs is what makes their mapping WORTH selling.

This is extremely simple:
The gulf is a sitting farm rich of resources IF WE choose to plant the seeds (reefs).
What do we do to incentivize PRIVATE MONEY to invest in building reefs?
How do you try and MITIGATE said resource from becoming well known, to the point to where it kills all incentive to invest?

We can go back and forth for 1 million years on you don't own it or if I run over it Ima fish it brahhh or what ever but the bottom line/big picture is we need thousands of more reefs and how do we get there??????????????????

Like for example: Get companies from this area to buy 1 module and have it deployed and with that the reef will have the companies name on it to get "McGuire's Irish Pub Reef" like the did with Joe Patties reef. Then maybe there becomes competition among companies on who has the biggest reef. Who talks about their reef the most? Their company name will be permanently marked in the gulf on the FWC reef map and charts..

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’m not sure what your getting at? If you want to have companies sponsor reefs, then start approaching businesses with the concept, might be a good idea.
My comment was in regards to the poster who wanted Strikelines to pay a fee to the people that created a reef using their own money. If you require Strikelines to pay a fee because they mapped the private reef on public property, then what is stopping the creator of the private reef from charging a fee to fish it. If you were allow the private reef creator to monetize the value of the reef, then you have opened a rabbit hole you do not want to go down.
I am of the opinion that if you build something on public property, then the public should have free access to it. That does not mean free access to the reef location data that someone else spent the time and money to obtain.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,555 Posts
First off Strikeline didn't do anything illegal by scanning the gulf or even making money off of it and you are right it is public land, personally I think it is a dick move big time to all of the people that spend money/time building reefs but there is a big difference from somebody running over it by chance and marking it and running over all of them and then selling them. I think we are all beyond the old boring conversation of "it's public land" "you don't own the reef!!!" "tuff shit brahhh I am fishing your spot" "you don't own the gulf mannnn"

Like I stated earlier we NEED more reefs and how do we get there?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Boat-dude,
Thinking more about what you said, I think it is a good idea! Maybe a good place to start would be with PFF, PFF members, local tackle shops etc. I live in SE North Carolina and the reefs that have been created here have been funded by the Long Bay Reef Association. If you want I’ll see if I can a contact point for you as it may help with determining how to create a similar organization.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
There didn't used to be any reef deploying law back in the day. Lots of fishermen and charter captains dumped all kinds of stuff in the water for many, many years. So just because there might be no matching coordinates, does not mean that it was dumped illegally as there was no law before.
I guess I could say the same for all the environmental and licence laws that we have now that we didnt have " back in the day" and you could argue that also but guess what? It's not free anymore like it used to be! Somebody gotta pay for all we have and that's a fact.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
441 Posts
How many of us are going to fish the new bridge rubble out in the rectangle? I know for a fact, I and we will be. In less the 5 years that spot should be LOADED with everything. It will also be hard to over fish it due to it's size and vast area. It should be a huge fish community out there. There are a couple of public spots that we fished last year that were always productive, but after a year of everyone with a 6 pack license hit them up they have next to nothing on them. (Not hating on 6 packers, just a comment on over fishing smaller spots).

·
Registered
71 Posts
First off Strikeline didn't do anything illegal by scanning the gulf or even making money off of it and you are right it is public land, personally I think it is a dick move big time to all of the people that spend money/time building reefs but there is a big difference from somebody running over it by chance and marking it and running over all of them and then selling them. I think we are all beyond the old boring conversation of "it's public land" "you don't own the reef!!!" "tuff shit brahhh I am fishing your spot" "you don't own the gulf mannnn"

Like I stated earlier we NEED more reefs and how do we get there?
Boat-dude,
Thinking more about what you said, I think it is a good idea! Maybe a good place to start would be with PFF, PFF members, local tackle shops etc. I live in SE North Carolina and the reefs that have been created here have been funded by the Long Bay Reef Association. If you want I’ll see if I can a contact point for you as it may help with determining how to create a similar organization.
Here is a link to the Long Bay Artificial Reef Association.
Not the answer your looking for brahh? You and I really shouldn’t use that kind of terminology, kinda diminishes the point your trying to make.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,985 Posts
I live in SE North Carolina
Not to be a smart ass, but why are you putting your .02 into what's going on in P'cola over why SL shouldn't have to pay, since you live in N.C.?
Also, since you want to help run our state, if SL didn't have the private party reef numbers, not many would buy their mapping. Have you even seen what they sell? I really doubt it since you think Quote; "the enhanced maps would still be of value in locating prime fishing areas".
Their prime effort is to locate reefs. So without the personal reefs, they wouldn't be in business. so they should have to pay a percentage to the person/entity that deployed said reefs, if not, then SL and the likes should not sell that info.
You said Quote; "If you want to go the route of monetizing the value of a privately created reef, you may find yourself paying for the privilege of fishing it".
I doubt that, but it may happen one day with Out of Stater's wanting to run other States fishing rules and/or rights.
And Fl also has a reef deployment program, hence Free Public Numbers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not to be a smart ass, but why are you putting your .02 into what's going on in P'cola over why SL shouldn't have to pay, since you live in N.C.?
Also, since you want to help run our state, if SL didn't have the private party reef numbers, not many would buy their mapping. Have you even seen what they sell? I really doubt it since you think Quote; "the enhanced maps would still be of value in locating prime fishing areas".
Their prime effort is to locate reefs. So without the personal reefs, they wouldn't be in business. so they should have to pay a percentage to the person/entity that deployed said reefs, if not, then SL and the likes should not sell that info.
You said Quote; "If you want to go the route of monetizing the value of a privately created reef, you may find yourself paying for the privilege of fishing it".
I doubt that, but it may happen one day with Out of Stater's wanting to run other States fishing rules and/or rights.
And Fl also has a reef deployment program, hence Free Public Numbers.
Not trying to be a smartass, but good job on being one. It’s public waters, the state never intended for privately created reefs to be kept secret, that’s why according to others on this forum, they are published numbers and already available from the state for free. I have ties to Fla and it’s a public forum, that means anyone can comment, not that I need to justify it to you. Just curious, you a Fla native, or a transplant?

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,555 Posts
Not the answer your looking for brahh? You and I really shouldn’t use that kind of terminology, kinda diminishes the point your trying to make.
I think the word you are looking for is slang. I will learn one day to keep my mouth shut and not waste my time on an old beat up subject, I thank you for the reminder.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think the word you are looking for is slang. I will learn one day to keep my mouth shut and not waste my time on an old beat up subject, I thank you for the reminder.
Me too. The information I provided to you was with good intent. I know it’s not the same as private reefs, but would be a way to have more reefs created which may help with spreading out the fishing pressure.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Me too. The information I provided to you was with good intent. I know it’s not the same as private reefs, but would be a way to have more reefs created which may help with spreading out the fishing pressure.
Surely you understand why people are annoyed with SL, right? Surely you see that SL(and others) have completely disincentivized individuals from creating reefs, right?

81 - 100 of 120 Posts