Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’m probably ignorant on the details of the subject, but what Strikelines has created and is selling is information that they spent the time gathering. It seems similar to the companies that created the fishing charts with loran/gps numbers.
I understand that people get upset when their personal reef that they built is made public. I will admit that I don’t like it when people come up on me to to obtain the numbers of a spot I am fishing. I spend time and money to find spots that are not pressured and I resent someone “stealing my spot”. The truth is, it is not my spot. It may not be ethical and shows a lack of respect, but it is public and there is nothing I can do about it.
I‘m curious about the right to build private reef’s. Is building a reef allowed statewide, or county by county? Also, how do they protect the waters from just becoming a dumping ground?

Sealark, I found it interesting that you came to the area in 1976. I was stationed at NAS Pensacola in 1976. The squadron I was attached to was VT-86. I learned to dive from a semi retired Seal Masterchief that used to run the Dilbert Dunker for the pilot training program. It has been a long time, so I’m sure I would no longer recognize the area anymore, but it was a beautiful place back then.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
You can purchase a reef permit.
The material has to be approved and you are given an area to place the reef. The numbers go on file with the county. They are not made public.
However once it is deployed, it is public. Anyone that finds it can fish on it, give or sell the number to someone else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You referenced an article that is discussing the creation of a bill to remove private reef coordinates from the public domain. If the private reef coordinates are already public domain, then the coordinates are not trade secrets. Taking the data from Strikelines without compensation would be taking data that they created which is what is a trade secret. It sounds to me like you are saying that you could not use private reef coordinates that you found on your own, and if I read the article correctly it specifically states:

“This wouldn’t prevent you from fishing those reefs if you find them — the waters are open to the public,” said Sen. Greg Evers, R-Baker, sponsor of Senate Bill 846. “The only thing you can’t do is go to the county and pull the coordinates.“

The only thing I see that Strikelines has protected is the data base they created. Again, if you want to, you can buy a Side Scan sonar and create your own data base, I don’t think anyone can stop you ( as long as you get any permitting that may be required to operate it).
That’s correct...if the bill had passed you would no longer be able to go pull permits, but it didn’t pass. You can still go pull the permits as part of public record.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The material has to be approved and you are given an area to place the reef. The numbers go on file with the county. They are not made public.
However once it is deployed, it is public. Anyone that finds it can fish on it, give or sell the number to someone else.
They are made public. Anyone can walk into their local clerk’s office and get a copy of the permit. That was the purpose of that bill but the bill didn’t pass.

·
Registered
338 Posts
not sure what people are complaining about. Numerous companies take advantage of publicly available bathometric data to provide fishing information at a cost to consumers. Ever heard of Navionics? CMAPS? Trout Support? Hiltons? You guys are lucky in Florida...come to Texas where we have just a few spots versus the thousands you guys fish. It's already June 28th and the only day I've been able to get out was last week and it was so rough that my wife got a compression fracture in her back on the way trying to snapper fish.

·
Registered
751 Posts
not sure what people are complaining about. Numerous companies take advantage of publicly available bathometric data to provide fishing information at a cost to consumers. Ever heard of Navionics? CMAPS? Trout Support? Hiltons? You guys are lucky in Florida...come to Texas where we have just a few spots versus the thousands you guys fish. It's already June 28th and the only day I've been able to get out was last week and it was so rough that my wife got a compression fracture in her back on the way trying to snapper fish.
What does the number of reefs over here have to do with the fact that you've only been able to go out and fish once due to shitty seas?

·
Registered
751 Posts
just saying that you seem to be complaining about what I see is a non issue and you could have it worse.
I didn't complain about anything...just pointed out that your post about only getting to fish once in TX due to shitty seas is entirely irrelevant to this thread...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I didn't complain about anything...just pointed out that your post about only getting to fish once in TX due to shitty seas is entirely irrelevant to this thread...
you're not the one I'm talking about. Numerous people here are complaining about Strikelines selling information...this is called free enterprise.

·
Registered
751 Posts
you're not the one I'm talking about. Numerous people here are complaining about Strikelines selling information...this is called free enterprise.
I wanted to leave such a hateful comment just now but i counted to 3 and let it pass. Enjoy your free enterprise and shitty Texas fishing, even tho i thought everything was supposed to be better in Texas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I didnt come here to complain about Strikelines or their business model. I came to point out the article is missing a tremendous amount of information that is highly relevant to the case. Good luck with your fishing in TX.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Boardfeet and Fishingforfun95, Thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Unfortunately, the story is incorrect...even the title of this post is wrong. StrikeLines' website was not hacked. What the story leaves out - and perhaps most importantly - is that he was also found NOT GUILTY of the first count - Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, which means the jury rejected the government's narrative that sophisticated hacking took place and accepted the defendant's version, and StrikeLines' OWN COMPUTER EXPERT'S TESTIMONY at trial (available for anyone to view on pacer as part of the trial transcript, which the "reporter" could have found if he had bothered to research anything, that they send the numbers in plain text to anyone who visits the website. He never attempted to sell anything, rejecting numerous people who offered to purchase them. The appeals process has already begun, and I hope each of you will follow it as the story unfolds.
The judge and jury would seem to disagree with you beyond a reasonable doubt. Good luck with the appeal!

Regardless of how you feel about StrikeLines, they are a local small business. Theft of trade secrets from a business and then extortion (found beyond a reasonable doubt by a jury of 12) should be prosecuted. Period.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The judge and jury would seem to disagree with you beyond a reasonable doubt. Good luck with the appeal!

Regardless of how you feel about StrikeLines, they are a local small business. Theft of trade secrets from a business and then extortion (found beyond a reasonable doubt by a jury of 12) should be prosecuted. Period.
While I would normally agree with you without argument that theft of even a pack of gum from a small business is a terrible thing to do, there's nothing that clear cut regarding this case...even the judge called it " a novel case" at the sentencing hearing. My point in posting about this article is that it's factually incorrect. They are stating that this is a cyber crime, and it isn't. The defendant was found not guilty on count one, which is the "hacking" charge. The govt has noted since then that count two, the trade secrets theft, is not a cyber crime. There is no cyber element to it. It's also undisputed that per the govt's witnesses, that the StrikeLines website sends the coordinates to everyone who visits the site because it's loaded into google maps. So, the legal question remains: can you take/steal something that is sent to your own computer, or stated another way, can you act without authorization on your own computer? Again, this is all a matter of public record in pacer. You can also go there and see what they are saying is a true threat...and it might surprise you. I'm not the defendant...just followed it closely from the beginning as I do other cases involving the internet/internet-type stuff because of the matters of public policy. In fact there are two cases that will likely impact this case in front of the US Supreme Court right now.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,364 Posts
Why do you not have many reefs?

What would be your solution to incentivizing people to spend their money and build more reefs?

·
eating tasty
3,731 Posts
Reefs? You think we don't got reefs? We got plenty of reefs, we just build them outa carbon fiber and there not detectable with dos fancy machines youz guyz look at....and we got fishes too!

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
Carbon fiber reefs? I need to see a picture of this. Sound expensive!

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,893 Posts
I personally believe the person (hacker) actually electronically stole the numbers should be prosecuted whether they were sold or not.
I also feel even tho the "private" reefs aren't that private if found, I believe Strikelines and other companies that do this type of business, should pay a royalty fee (to be determined by the court) per each sale of their numbers, to each entity (person) that paid and deployed the reefs.
Sl's would have to check their "found reef" gps coordinates against the ones filed with the clerk in each county. Iif there is a match (within close proximity) of what's on file, then whoever paid to put it deployed is the one to receive a royalty from each and every sale made by SL or other same type businesses.
I mean if it wasn't for the people "paying" for their reefs and to have them deployed, SL would not be in this type of business (selling non-public reef numbers).
just my .02

·
Registered
338 Posts
Our gulf area is shallow. It's almost 80 miles to our "edge". Combine that with the fact that nearly all the fishable oil structures have been taken down...it makes for a vast desert of unfishable water. Not saying that we don't have wrecks to fish or some bottom structure, but it's nowhere close to what you see in the Florida panhandle. Your part of the gulf is somewhat protected from weather as compared to ours too. There have been a few reef projects but they're typically farther south where deep water is closer to the coastline. Put it this way...II can fish for marline, sailfish and grouper in Florida out of my bay boat. I simply don't have the range or size boat to do that here. (hence the reason I come to Florida to fish as often as possible)

Why do you not have many reefs?

What would be your solution to incentivizing people to spend their money and build more reefs?

61 - 80 of 116 Posts