Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to fish those stretches. Never used one before and was thinking of trying it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Troll around any structure, drop offs, etc.. at about 4 to 5 mph. Run them about 75 ft. behind the boat. Mono leader for nontoothy critters.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
They dive to 75 feet at 4.5 knots when dropped back 90 feet. I never use leader with them, but I would if I was targeting Wahoo. Use a leader if you are using braided line, about 15 feet of 40 pound mono would work. Just get out and you will learn a lot by trial and error.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
wishiniwasfishin07 (12/25/2007)They dive to 75 feet at 4.5 knots when dropped back 90 feet. I never use leader with them, but I would if I was targeting Wahoo. Use a leader if you are using braided line, about 15 feet of 40 pound mono would work. Just get out and you will learn a lot by trial and error.

Me thinks you mean 25 feet...not 75.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Your right, 25-30, depending on the diameter of you line. I dont even know what I was typing. :blownaway:doh

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
2.5mph is the norn for me,attached to themain line via a swivel,about 100 or so feet behind the boat. Once ya see the rod tip starting to bend over then more than likely your digging into the bottom. Thats okay,don't panic or nothing cause your at your targeted depth. Just reel up a couple of cranks and you'll be fine. I don't use wire on the stretches,just a double line to the swivel to give me twice the protection in the event of a tail whip but its gonna eventually happen when the kings show heavy. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
bonita dan (12/25/2007)...I don't use wire on the stretches,just a double line to the swivel to give me twice the protection

Hmmm...
now that's a pretty good idea. I usually just run a little heavier mono leader...definitely no need for flouro. Crimp the leader onto the stretch...with a swivel....put a snap swivel on my main line and attach/detach/reattach as needed.
I know the double swivel is overkill, but for some reason I've found they run truer with it. I've caught kings on the mono leaders as well. As long as the fish hits their mark, you'll hook em up!

·
Registered
254 Posts
i'd say about 99 % of the time when you hook fish on stretches they dont even get close to the leader, especially fish that slash like kingfish or big spanish macks, so i just troll stretches with a mono leader except if im out in water deeper than 100' because of the greatershotat hooking a wahoo

·
Registered
444 Posts
Is there any way to run them off of a downrigger. I was thinking of using a rubber band instead of the standard clip with a really heavy ball.

Anyone ever done it? Seems like it would be great to troll over a live bottom area.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i haven't tried it but i heard that a planner works well for the streches and you dont get the blow back, if someone has tried it let us know sounds like it could be fun out in the deeper water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts