Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you buy stretch 25's rigged with single hooks?

I mangled some oversize reds trolling the beach with the heavy duty treble hooks. Don't want to do that again. They revived okay and were lively, but they had some bad hook damage

I'd rather miss and loose a few than mangle and release

and also

What color works best for you?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Dont know about the single hook but I have heard red and pink work well

If you cant find the single hook stretch, you can always just cut them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You can also use a pair of pliers and squeeze the barb off of each hook and make it a barbless hook. When I lived in Washington State all hooks used in salmon fishing had to be barbless. As long a you keep pressure on the fish they'll stay on pretty good, but when you want to release the fish you don't have to destroy his face getting the hooks out. I second the red and white stretches - in holographic. I have tried a lot of colors and that works best for me.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Just buy your regular stretches and cut the two hooks that hug the body just before the end of the bend towards the eye. There designed to run trebles so they can stay in balance. Also agree on crimping the barbs down for an easy release and the fish won't come off as long as ya keep good pressure on them. Makes for a happy red when turned loose.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
I'm sure Mann's didquite a bitof R&D on the lures they make. As said above, I'd crimp the barb (do on my Trout flies/lures) to keep the integrity of the lure. Cutting the hook off, may not be the best thing, and will be hard, but not impossible to return the lure to the original set. Cutting the hook and adding a split ring/hook might make the lure track badly. If you decide to remove the hook completely and attach a single hook, post your results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts