Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I fish live bait alot and I've come to the point where I only take the basics for me. I am curious what you all put as a basic pack.

Mine is as follows:

Vmc size 2 octopus hooks
Eagle claw lazer size 2/0 circle hooks
Eagle claw Lazer size 1/0 2x long J hooks
Owner size 4 mosquito hooks

Tsunami size 6 swivels

Small pack of split shots
Egg weights (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1, 2)
Pyramid weights (1, 2, 4, and a random 6)
Couple of 1/2 dropper weights

25# fluorocarbon
30# fluorocarbon
30# Andes ghost

And of course tools

Pliers
Dehooker
Fish grips

For a streamlined kit I think I do very well inshore and on the piers.

Would love to hear what you guys carry as I constantly add remove or update my choices.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Gotta be more specific

What are you trying to catch? Boat, yak, pier/bridge, wade/walk?

I almost never fish with bait when I am fishing by myself unless I am fishing for Sheepshead. At least 75% of the time I fish with a Penn Sargus 2000 with 8# test Spiderwire with a 20-30# Trilene XT or Stren Dura Tuff mono. My "Heavy" reel is a Penn Sargus 4000 with 20# Spiderwire. If I am in my yak in the area I fish, a 150# Tarpon will come to the boat if he doesn't throw the hook or chafe the leader.

I feel like I catch more and larger fish with artificials and far fewer Catfish.

I'm interested to see what kind of responses you get here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Inshore:
1/4Oz - 3/4th Oz cabelas style gumball Jigs with the wire hook.
SPRO 1 oz White.
Glup 3"swimming minnow white.
Bass Assassins.
A Twitch bait.
A popper.

PP, 25Lb Mono, Albright Knots

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fish the banks, piers and jetty's. Surprisingly I've only caught 1 hardhead this year.

My favorite rig is a Carolina or fish finder. Slammed the mangrove snapper and Spanish, did decent on the specks and got quite a few slot reds and 1 keeper flounder.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Suggestions.

If you are targeting Flounder with a Carolina rig, shorten your leader to about 6" or use a jig head. You might cut your snapper catch a little bit, though. A single hook with a white Mann's Stingray grub about a foot above a jig head with the same grub may double your catch, especially with Grouper and Redfish. Trout too. My son uses a dark green or smoke gray grub and often kicks my butt. I usually use a home made weedless hook with a home made bait holder.

On light tackle, why use hooks that could be used on 80# test? Even Aberdeen hooks are just fine on light tackle and they sure cost less.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A vmc size 2 octopus hook isn't that big. In fact I have had bull reds straighten or break them. But not as bad as a owner ssw.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,080 Posts
I have used these hooks for years. Owner Mutu Light Circle. #2 mostly and some 1/0 with larger live bait.

Matrix Shad and their jig heads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts