Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nice find. So far (luckily) I've only came across a black racer this season. Walking through those creek bottoms is always a little nerve racking.

I've always wanted to harvest some wild mushrooms but I'm not confident in my identification skills. What type of shroom is that?

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interested in trying the fungus. What and where do they grow. Oh that’s a dandy rattler.
Its a “chicken of the woods” aka “sulfur shelf”. I have found them in all kinda of woods, swamp bottoms , piney woods, etc.

I have heard to never eat them off of pines, cedars or conifer type trees, rhat they can be toxic, only harvest ones off hardwoods.

No kidding, they taste like chicken!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice find. So far (luckily) I've only came across a black racer this season. Walking through those creek bottoms is always a little nerve racking.

I've always wanted to harvest some wild mushrooms but I'm not confident in my identification skills. What type of shroom is that?
Chicken of the woods (sulfur shelf)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I had a friend that cooked some up one time while i was visiting family in PA. and can honesty say I was surprised at how good it was. We sautéed it in a little butter with a touch of garlic.

·
Super Moderator
28,145 Posts
Poor lil rattler.....I tell ya, that lil fella was starving to death!!! Skinny little critter!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts