5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tropical or subtropical storm could form in Gulf later today, forecasters say

jack

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The hurricane center said an Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft is scheduled to investigate the system this afternoon.

The disturbance was located over the southwestern Gulf on Thursday morning but appeared more organized and was producing winds to near tropical storm force, the hurricane center said.

Conditions will be favorable for continued strengthening, and Nestor could be born later today or tonight as it moves northeastward over the western Gulf.

Name or no name, the storm could bring heavy rain, gusty winds and rough seas to the northern or northeastern Gulf Coast.

That heavy rain could spread inland over the Southeast as well, the hurricane center said.

This storm could end up being a subtropical or hybrid system, according to the National Weather Service in Mobile.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whatever. We need the rain. I wonder how many of my retarded neighbors from Michigan will board up.
if they're democrat, yes they will.
jack

Reactions: hebegb again

·
Bearded Brotula
14,971 Posts
Probably gonna rain out my 5k run. Wonder if I'll still get my 2 free beers?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I like snapper but not enough to go out in poor weather. There are too many other tasty bits on a different day when the sun is out. : )

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Probably gonna rain out my 5k run. Wonder if I'll still get my 2 free beers?
Got an email the bridge 5k was still on. Guess we’re just gonna get wet.

·
Bearded Brotula
14,971 Posts
Got an email the bridge 5k was still on. Guess we’re just gonna get wet.
This was the Wild and Wicked Beach Bash. It was tomorrow night. It's cancelled.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I like snapper but not enough to go out in poor weather. There are too many other tasty bits on a different day when the sun is out. : )
I might try it Sunday afternoon if it smooths out a bit, but I'm with you. A couple snapper isn't worth an aching back and shoulders from dealing with 3 to 5 foot seas.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
It's like a "superstorm"...a system that doesn't cooperate with your media hype and either degrades into just a bunch of really strong thunderstorms or fails to develop into anything more threatening than a mid-summer squall line.:no:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Whats the difference between a subtropical system and a hybrid system? Never heard of a hybrid system several years back. Is this a new invention to try and get more interest?
a subtropical system will have all of the characteristics of a tropical storm with the exception of a defined center. We flew low level in those storms as they formed to find a true low-pressure area where winds were flat(more complex than that but that's as simple as I can explain it). Until they find a center like that the storm will just be a semi-organized wind/rain event according to NOAA and the NHC.

Reactions: Kamac
1 - 20 of 33 Posts