Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I said in my thread two posts down, I am new to ths game...heck my boat is on my credit card but I have not seen it yet. So bare win me as I try to learn...

If...IF I happen to catch a king, spanish, or a mahi (ok lets not get carried away)...So stick with a king or spaniard

1) how do I kill it? or do I?
2) how do you store it to keep on fishing? Big cooler??

I will be fishing from a Jackson Big Tuna if anyone has a recomendation.

Forgive me...I am the slow kid for now.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
King? Well I just just throw them back, not worth eating IMO.

Spanish? Same, I throw them back too but IF I keep one or two I bring a cooler with me and they fit in there pretty easily. My thirty inch mahi fit in there easily too.

They also make insulated fish bags, if you are serious about keeping fish and you dont have room for a cooler, you should probably check them out.

I fish light tackle so kings are generally dead by the time I get them up, if they are hooked where I can easily remove it, I leave them in the water and dehook. If you take them out, a kings chance of survival is pretty small.

Spanish, if I decide to keep one, gets slammed up against the kayak until dead.

Mahi, watch out. They DONT give up. Do not bring a green mahi in the kayak no matter how small or youll regret it.

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
If I catch something worth keeping(big king, cobia or big mahi), I'll bring it back to van(big cooler in back) and relaunch to catch more. I rarely fish more than 2 miles offshore, so its easy to run it back in and head back out.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Big kings...by the time I get the fishie to side of yak he's pretty much shot his wad so I use the the lip grabber and tie him to the side of yak then grab a couple of gills and pull, that bleeds Mr. Fishie...and Ur yak doesn't look like a murder scene, usually have to cut big king three maybe four times and fold to fit in my small cooler...try smoking the king.... eat some and rest make into fish dip...yammy

·
Registered
95 Posts
I tie the kings around the tail after a good gaff. Tie them with a good quick release knot. Had a 30lb shark gutted and tail tied to my Yak a few weekends ago on a bottom spot and his big brother came up to me for a free meal. I picked him out of the water real quick and created some distance. It is a little scary at times with you have bleeding fish tied to you in open water but I have never have had a real issue. I dont like having a cooler on my kayak. I made the mistake of putting Bonita inside my hull. HA. What a mess that was to clean.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Precision Pak - Yak Catch Fish Bag in size medium (any brand will work - this is just the brand I happened to purchase). Handy to be able to keep your fish on ice and easily stores just about anywhere (as long as you don't get the x-large size). I just used a stringer and kept the fish in the water when I was first starting out but I found out first hand that is not a wise option.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Precision Pak - Yak Catch Fish Bag in size medium (any brand will work - this is just the brand I happened to purchase). Handy to be able to keep your fish on ice and easily stores just about anywhere (as long as you don't get the x-large size). I just used a stringer and kept the fish in the water when I was first starting out but I found out first hand that is not a wise option.

So what happened to move you away from the stringer. HA. I just bought a 50L heavy duty dry bag today that I will put 20lbs of ice in for the next trip which will be the Ronal McDonald tourney

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was fishing the GCKFA tourney this spring and had several Spanish on a stringer in the water. Had a porpoise steal some off the stringer yakside. Of course, it got the biggest one and cost me a shot at placing in the tourney. So now i keep them in the insulated fish bag in the kayak. I don't plan on donating any more fish to flipper or sharks on tourney day...

·
USCG
57 Posts
I put a heavy duty garbage bag in my forward hatch with a little ice. Sometimes a little tricky to get fish in it but it works. I usually have my cooler on the back with bait and drinks in it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put a heavy duty garbage bag in my forward hatch with a little ice. Sometimes a little tricky to get fish in it but it works. I usually have my cooler on the back with bait and drinks in it.
Economy style....I like that. I am $2k in and have another $1500 in rigging, electronics, and fishing stuff on my wish list!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Check out Ice Mule, its an insulated dry bag, holds ice really well and is easy to store. The only place I know to get on is on line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts