Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Exxonmobil has taken a beating. I work there- and have a good bit of their stock. It’s a great dividend, and I’ll hang on to it til it hopefully gets back over 70 bucks again.
XOM employee myself. Bought more this morning. Dividends have been good. If it drops more, I'll buy more.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I was always told that If the market falls, it will eventually recover and it will just takes a little time. Research what stocks had a good record and have fallen the most before this chaos and buy that. When they recover, they will recover at a higher rate and you will make more. You just have to be willing to wait it out. It's not a 4-6 month thing....

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
josh, josh are you listening.
real estate.
i told you long time ago that rental houses is the way to go.

jack

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,856 Posts
Been all in CVX stock for 14 years, just purchased $4600 more of it....... it’ll come back around. (Its got to, my retirement depends on it) lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
XOM employee myself. Bought more this morning. Dividends have been good. If it drops more, I'll buy more.
I use Fidelity and just bought more of their Energy sector ETF - FENY. It contains 25% XOM and 21% CVX and then the rest of it is other oil/gas related public companies. It was down to the lowest it's ever been, I don't see the energy sector going anywhere.

·
Premium Member
9,450 Posts
I use Fidelity and just bought more of their Energy sector ETF - FENY. It contains 25% XOM and 21% CVX and then the rest of it is other oil/gas related public companies. It was down to the lowest it's ever been, I don't see the energy sector going anywhere.
I just opened a fidelity account but I know absolutely nothing about any of this.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just opened a fidelity account but I know absolutely nothing about any of this.
I just know enough to be dangerous. Basically for the novice like us there are 3 ways to invest - an actual stock, an ETF or a mutual fund. Fidelity has very easy ways to do research on their site if you start poking around

Just buying a stock like Amazon or Apple or Exxon Mobil is the first. These you will see the price change and you can buy/sell throughout the day - although for the type of investing people like us do, you probably just want to buy and plan on holding.

An ETF is similar to an individual stock, but it's a collection of individual stocks that Fidelity manages what stocks are composed of it. They are priced per share like a stock and trade and update price throughout the day. There all all kinds of them. For example the FENY I stated above is an ETF based on the energy section. You can buy them based on the Dow Jones average or a sector or a percentage of allocation of the type of stock/investment, etc. The benefit for poor folks like us is, we can get in on a piece of Amazon or Apple or Google w/out having to pay $1k per share.

A mutual fund is basically the same thing as an ETF except the trades and pricing only happens once a day at the end of the trading day and on the backend they are managed differently - which doesn't mean anything to us except have to watch out for fees. Good thing about fidelity is they have really low fees or no fees. In a fund, instead of buying 200 shares, you can buy say $500 dollars worth of the fund. This is most common in retirement accounts mainly b/c if you are contributing a set amount per pay check, then you can say I want to put 20% in this fund, 50% in this fund and 30% in this fund. You buy it and never think about it again until you are getting closer to retirement.

If you think you are going to get rich off of stock trading just starting out, unless you have a ton of money, you will go broke. For people like me and probably you, it's best to plan on it being a long term investment. That's why all of these people that are selling all of the funds out of their retirement plan - obviously with some exceptions such as close to retirement - are making a mistake. Think about it, you bought fund x for $15 per share and it was up to $27, now it dropped down to $13 and you panic and sell, then 6 months down the road everything has stabilized and it's back up to $16 a share and you buy back in...well, do the math.

Of course then there are dividends, etc. Just be glad you get them and re-invest that money.

That's all I got and I'm sure a lot of people will step in and correct me on things, which is fine maybe I'll learn something.

·
Premium Member
9,450 Posts
I just know enough to be dangerous. Basically for the novice like us there are 3 ways to invest - an actual stock, an ETF or a mutual fund. Fidelity has very easy ways to do research on their site if you start poking around

Just buying a stock like Amazon or Apple or Exxon Mobil is the first. These you will see the price change and you can buy/sell throughout the day - although for the type of investing people like us do, you probably just want to buy and plan on holding.

An ETF is similar to an individual stock, but it's a collection of individual stocks that Fidelity manages what stocks are composed of it. They are priced per share like a stock and trade and update price throughout the day. There all all kinds of them. For example the FENY I stated above is an ETF based on the energy section. You can buy them based on the Dow Jones average or a sector or a percentage of allocation of the type of stock/investment, etc. The benefit for poor folks like us is, we can get in on a piece of Amazon or Apple or Google w/out having to pay $1k per share.

A mutual fund is basically the same thing as an ETF except the trades and pricing only happens once a day at the end of the trading day and on the backend they are managed differently - which doesn't mean anything to us except have to watch out for fees. Good thing about fidelity is they have really low fees or no fees. In a fund, instead of buying 200 shares, you can buy say $500 dollars worth of the fund. This is most common in retirement accounts mainly b/c if you are contributing a set amount per pay check, then you can say I want to put 20% in this fund, 50% in this fund and 30% in this fund. You buy it and never think about it again until you are getting closer to retirement.

If you think you are going to get rich off of stock trading just starting out, unless you have a ton of money, you will go broke. For people like me and probably you, it's best to plan on it being a long term investment. That's why all of these people that are selling all of the funds out of their retirement plan - obviously with some exceptions such as close to retirement - are making a mistake. Think about it, you bought fund x for $15 per share and it was up to $27, now it dropped down to $13 and you panic and sell, then 6 months down the road everything has stabilized and it's back up to $16 a share and you buy back in...well, do the math.

Of course then there are dividends, etc. Just be glad you get them and re-invest that money.

That's all I got and I'm sure a lot of people will step in and correct me on things, which is fine maybe I'll learn something.
Thanks. I’ve got some studying to do. Its all foreign to me. I’ve got a buddy at work that’s coaching me some though. I don’t have a bunch if money to play with either.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
My wife and I started over 30 years ago. We have never touched our investments. We contribute on a regular basis and re invest all dividends. Anytime we have a windfall of money, we send it to our investment broker. We have used the same guy since day one and I trust him implicitly.
We could retire now easily but we work for insurance..
Also we contribute considerably more to our accounts now.
Work about eight to ten more years and retire comfortably.
That’s our plan..:yes:

·
Registered
3,629 Posts

I can walk ya' through the most important part Joey, that's putting me as co-owner of the account......:D

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Im gonna add the airlines to my portfolio for sure. Once inwork in the oil field i kinda stay away from those stocks but may put 1 k that oil goes back up on futures.

21 - 40 of 188 Posts