Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

201 - 220 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
69viking I have thought about getting motley fool. I have heard mixed reviews about it tho. You saying you are happy with what you got out of it?
There is a good youtube channel called Learn to Invest by a guy named Jimmy. I've been in stocks for 25/30 years, and I still have learned a lot from him. He'll teach you how to research companies, buy long term for dividends, and will give four or five stocks to consider for nearly every sector, but he never makes individual stock recommendations. Most of his videos are 8 or 9 minutes which is about my attention span.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
69viking I have thought about getting motley fool. I have heard mixed reviews about it tho. You saying you are happy with what you got out of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I paid for two of their services, Stock Advisor was $99 and Rule Breakers for $199 and that gives you access for a year. I'm just getting started but originally put in $2,600 at the beginning of the year buying stocks the Fool Services as they call them recommended. Some went down originally with the Covid epidemic but now things are turning around. That original investment is now worth $4,960 today. Motley Fool advises you to invest for the long term so they recommend solid companies that will continue to gain value, they are not into day trading. I like having access to their resources and then doing more research myself online. I learned I had to invest money I could afford to be without. You can't panic and sell when something like Covid crashes the stock market. History shows after ever crash there is a huge up swing in stock values. Hold or buy when the market is down and sell when it is high is my philosophy since I am investing for the long term to better my retirement. Right now I'd like to have some more to buy into the major cruise lines, they are way down off their 52 week highs but are in the process of working to make Cruises one of the safer places to travel and once they do and Covid is under control their stock will go back up. Things like 5G and Solar are hot right now too of you can find a company on the upswing they can be solid investments. Again, you have to do the research yourself using whatever tools you choose and invest money you can do without and won't panic just because the market tanked one day on some bad news. The market is fickle, it goes up and down based on the news of the day so that is why investing for the long term is best IMO. BTW, my wife bought some stocks based on my research using Motley Fool and her original $3,400 investment is over $8,500! I'm sure both our accounts will fluctuate over time but my long term goal is money for retirement at which point I'll sell and put my money is a more secure location.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
There is a good youtube channel called Learn to Invest by a guy named Jimmy. I've been in stocks for 25/30 years, and I still have learned a lot from him. He'll teach you how to research companies, buy long term for dividends, and will give four or five stocks to consider for nearly every sector, but he never makes individual stock recommendations. Most of his videos are 8 or 9 minutes which is about my attention span.
I'll definitely look into that. Long term dividends is something I've been curious about. I just started investing in this past year so I'm taking it slow right now, I have some consolidation loans I'm paying off and then I'll have more free cash to invest. I'll be 62 in 12 years but I hope to retire before then, if any of my penny pot stocks ever take off I will LOL!

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Glad to hear you realize it’s “usually “ not a get rich overnight thing. However, there are some out there that have. I’ve been in the market for 35 years, most for the long term but I have seen $5,000 disappear once off a hot tip.

My brother had Circle K back in the 90s, went to nothing. They filed bankruptcy and came back. My brother got nothing, what a shame.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I witnessed several coworkers lose hundreds of thousands buying stock in the company they worked. Some even doubled down after the first crash and others even bought more after a reverse 10 to1 stock split. Then the company filed for bankruptcy and all common stock was wiped out. Preferred stock got 10 cents on the dollar. I'd be super weary of any oil field service companies long term right now. They all have massive debts due. I'd love to catch some of the fed propped/OPEC supported price swings in the short term.

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts
NIO is trying to dip. Y’all better get some of this. Buy around $12-$12.50.
DA1102D4-C2BE-4E25-853E-241D050E323C.png

NIO Baby!!

I need somebody to come help me tote this bag of money around.

Y’all better get some.

·
eating tasty
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Speaking to the EV craze like NIO I almost bought SOLO a few weeks ago at like $1.30 something. Hindsight will drive you crazy. The first stock I ever owned was ALT at $2.93. I sold it at like $3.30ish. It’s $20.00 today. Biggest lesson I have learned so far is to have lots of patience.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
There's not a solid base to use our history as a strategy. History is changing. Long range is not over but it was yesterdays news. There is never a better day to invest than it was yesterday. The 50/50 rule. The only way you can say you were the 50+ is if your already past that investment. Nothing is worth nothing, until it's bought by someone who think it's worth more.

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts
I thought about this in my sleep.

It was just a joke.....Do not do it

Lol😅
No worries. No way I would . I’ve been doing good but I know it could do a 180 at any moment.

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
It's been up and down. I threw in $10K when I thought it hit bottom. As of yesterday i'm up 26%. I'm thinking about waiting to buy or sell until November.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I got a small amount in my Vanguard account to play with (5K). Everything is pointing up. What would you do for a short term shot today?

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts
I got a small amount in my Vanguard account to play with (5K). Everything is pointing up. What would you do for a short term shot today?
I don’t understand how to short them. I’m new at this. I haven’t understood the whole shorts, puts, and calls thing yet.

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean shorting, just what to pick.

Im gonna stay with NIO until something changes. Up another 6% this morning.
Thats the only thing I’m holding right now.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean shorting, just what to pick.
Untill somebody comes up with a fix for the virus, it's going to be too volatile to invest short term. I think we'll lose some big companies before the dust settles. If you just want to get in the market, divide your money up into sustainable companies that have been beaten down but earn a decent yield. T, SO, XOM, SYN, TFC are a few I'm counting on in the long term. Never put all your eggs in one basket.

201 - 220 of 257 Posts