Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you ever put hydraulic steering on a boat ?? Is it worth the money and how difficult is it to put on. Thanks in advance.

Scott

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
parrothead (11/16/2007)Have any of you ever put hydraulic steering on a boat ?? Is it worth the money and how difficult is it to put on. Thanks in advance.Scott
Never installed one on a boat. But I've had three boats, one with cable and pulleys, one with solid cable in a sheath and my present being hydraulic.......hudraulic best by far. It also depends on the size of boat weather it's worth it.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Yes I have installed them. Multiple station's too. Common sense goes a long way.

It also depends on the size of boat weather it's worth it.

Totally agree, but once you have it you will never want to go back to manual cable steering.

Cable steering is fine on a skiff.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you are installing a hydrolic system on the boat in your Picture processor link then you should notice a decent improvement on your steering. Normally about 150hp is the threshold for installing a hydro system. If you have less than 150 then use a cable drive system if it is more than 150 then use hydro. The biggest improvement you will see is how smooth and responsive the steering will be. Make sure the system you get has the anti feedback option on it. This will keep your motor from turning the helm for you. Hydrolics are easy to install getting them to work correctly could be another issue. You HAVE to get ALLL the bubbles out of the system before it will work right.If you would like a hand with it then I could possibly help you.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
the hydraulic is the only way to go if you have a big HP motor. It takes away the feedback completely and is very smooth. The only drawback is if you get low on fluid(even a small leak) it will wander and be very lumpy since the steering head is actually the pump and it will sort of cavitate if it's low. Also, if it fails you can forget manually steering it...........you'd have to unhook the steering rod if you even wanted to TRY to get yourself home. Doesn't happen often but it's something to think about. Both of my last two boats had a seastar system on them and it was great. The boat I'm about to start building will get the same(it'll have a 200 merc on it)

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW !!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the responses. Now the all important question. How much ??

Scott

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
It's been a few years, but I put one on a 21' W/A with a 200 Oceanrunner and spend about $850. If you shop around, and more importantly, know someone in the boat biz that can cut you some slack you can do better. It's not a cheap modification, but if you're going to keep the boat it's worth every penny.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Check with Surplus Unlimited out of Daytona. All SeaStar systems are $783.95

Surplus Unlimited

613 W. International Speedway Blvd.

Daytona Beach, FL 32114

Discount Marine and Boating Supplies

Call 1-800-842-5403, Fax (386) 254-4833

(386) 252-5019

https://www.surplusunlimited.com/storefront.htm

·
Registered
12 Posts
We just converted a bass boat with a 200hp motor from dual cable to hydraulic and the improvement in performance and ease of use impressive. $800-$1200 for complete system, 5 hours to install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts