Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that DeSantis has been under a lot of pressure to do this, and as irritated as I am about it, my purpose is not to discuss the reasons behind the executive order. It's in place, it's not going to change in the immediate future, so I just want to see if anyone has heard anything official about what that means for boating. I'm curious if anyone has any friends or family in FWC that can comment on the implications in that regard. If I launch from a private ramp across the street from my house with only my wife and son in the boat, for example, and cruise on down the bay or out to the Gulf without stopping to set foot on any beaches, will FWC run me down and turn me around? Will they issue tickets? I'll be interested to see how this plays out; if anyone has any direct information from FWC or LEO's please let us know.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that's great.

They posted the actual text of the order, which is part of what I was looking for. The relevant portion regarding activities (emphasis mine):

A. For purposes of this Order and the conduct it limits, “essential activities” means and encompasses the following:
  1. Attending religious services conducted in churches, synagogues and houses of worship; and
  2. Participating in recreational activities (consistent with social distancing guidelines) such as walking, biking, hiking, fishing, hunting, running, or swimming; and
  3. Taking care of pets; and
  4. Caring for or otherwise assisting a loved one or friend.
B. Other essential activities may be added to this list with the approval of the State Coordinating Officer, in close coordination with the State Health Officer. The State Coordinating Officer shall maintain an online list of essential activities, as specified in this Order along with any approved additions.
C. A social gathering in a public space is not an essential activity. Local jurisdictions shall ensure that groups of people greater than ten are not permitted to congregate in any public space.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wondering also if they will shut down public ramps. I hope they tell us if they are going to so we can maybe find somewhere on the water to store our boats. Getting out on the boat is our only outlet to this insanity.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Boat ramps will remain open depending on if the county government that you live in closes them or not.

The following services are also outlined as essential in the executive order:
  • Attending religious services
  • Participating in recreational activities (in alignment with social distancing guidelines) such as walking, biking, hiking, fishing, hunting, running, or swimming (consistent with social distancing guidelines)
  • Taking care of pets
  • Caring for or otherwise assisting a loved one or friend

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
I'm thinking that 40 nm offshore is about as socially distant as I can be affordably. That's my plan.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I sure hope the boat ramps stay open and FWC/local law enforcement allows us to go on our boats to fish. Fingers crossed the info above is true!!

·
Super Moderator
28,145 Posts
Up north they are doing $500 fines fer folks violating orders as such. Alot of places are saying its a criminal charge and you will get a court date... no word on directives in our area as of yet. Gonna be a LONG month!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm thinking that 40 nm offshore is about as socially distant as I can be affordably. That's my plan.
That's about the limit for the ShurKetch and the "A" Team. I was told yesterday while at Sherman Cove that a meeting was taking place with the Co of NAS and one of the decisions to be made was keeping Sherman Cove open. Am checking this morning on their decision. Planning a trip Saturday!

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
Ed you and SC won't know untill it happens. I don't think it will be closed. No logical reason to. And they will just loose money. I never seen a boat leave with 10 people on it. If ya hear anything let me know or post.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think we need to look past what "we want to do" and do "everyone" a favor and stay put. Just stop for a minute.
You DO realize the reason for the essential activities such as walking, running, swimming, biking, fishing and hunting is not only physical health, but also mental health? You may be able to stay cooped up in your house with no access to the outside world for weeks/months at a time, but the rest of us require these activities to stay healthy and sane. You focus on you and not what others are doing as long as they're safely exercising their constitutional rights and the directed orders of their elected officials.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It's who and what your contacting getting to and from where your going. Good Luck.
AGAIN, if you're following the safety guidelines for the above activities...you're not coming in close contact with anyone. That doesn't negate the need to wash your hands regularly and not touch your face along with the other covid 19 guidelines. You CAN do these essential activities safely without becoming Nancy Pelosi's favorite voter!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's who and what your contacting getting to and from where your going. Good Luck.
My truck, my boat, my trailer, my wife and kid. Often I don't even touch the pilings at the dock, I toss my bow line over it and cleat it. Push off the dock with my foot. Me going fishing has probably the least impact or contact with others of any activity I can think of. You'll impact countless more people going to the store for food than I will going fishing. I'm not asking you to stay in your house and starve, and neither does this Executive Order. Don't bother asking me to, either.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I pasted the boat ramp on north side of Hwy 331 in Walton County and the county has a digital street sign telling everybody the boat ramp is open. But that the park portion is still closed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts