Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday, coming back from Fairhope, I got caught up in the traffic for the checks at the state line. Took about 45mins to get through the 1 lane and back on interstate. I noticed a lot of cars was by passing the pull over. I understand the Semi trucks being able to pass by, but the others? Is it required by law that you have to stop? I asked one of the checkers and he said I would have to ask the law.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Tell them you wont answer any questions without your attorney present. They will wave you on through.

·
Registered
961 Posts
From the beginning this has been an absolute joke and a tremendous waste of money and resources. If I were a full time Florida resident , I would be outraged . I have now been thru this checkpoint 6 times since it was implemented -- I live in Louisiana but have a condo in Pensacola Beach. The LEAST amount of State Trooper police cars I have counted at this " checkpoint " is 11, the most being 14. Now understand , when you go thru the checkpoint process, YOU NEVER TALK TO A STATE TROOPER !! In the last two weeks ( I usually come in on a Friday and leave either Sunday or Mon. ) the traffic comes to a dead stop on the Interstate a couple of miles back -- how safe is that ?

The actual process is that ALL passenger cars and trucks go to an initial checkpoint where you are asked if you are coming from one of the afore mentioned areas . If not you exit left back onto the Interstate. If yes you must go to the right to another checkpoint where you are given a questionnaire to fill out -- name ,address, where you will be staying, how long you will be in Florida, who is in vehicle with you, are you having any Covid 19 symptoms. You understand none of these people are troopers AND no one checks the validity of the info you have provided. Someone could put ANY name or address on there because no one -- not even the people you give it back to ever check the info !!

Once you fill out the form to proceed to a final checkpoint where you hand in the form and you are then given a pre-printed sheet that gives you instructions on how to comply with a 14 day quarantine. Now understand this is only @ I10. My son joined us last weekend and his Nav --- because of the I10 checkpoint back-up , re-calculated him to take the Exit by Buckeys, go to hwy 90 and turn left, and then get back on I10 @ hwy. 90 which is PAST the roadblock.

Last Friday afternoon, I went thru the checkpoint. Both of the vehicles if front of me also had Louisiana license plates also. The back up was so bad that a State Trooper was directing ALL OF THE TRAFFIC directly back to the Interstate bypassing the whole checkpoint process . Another example of " feel good" government intervention that is a completely useless process wasting taxpayer money and resources.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ya'll have never lived within 100 miles of the Mexico border have ya? Stops within 100 miles of any border (the coast is a border) for "immigration checks" have been through the supreme court years ago and found Okiedokey. When I lived in the hell hole of New Mexico I was stopped at check points up to 5 times in one day while doing the driving I had to that day.

I'm sure all those people at the stop were "border patrol" agents by law.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's a waste of time, but there is a very long list of precedent allowing the government to run roadblocks and checkpoints. If you want to challenge it well the first step is getting arrested and sending the case from appeals court to appeals court until it hits SCOTUS. Good luck with that!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've been by several times going west. Almost every time there are cones and a trooper forcing all traffic off into the truck weigh station. Only when it's busy was there a "bypass".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts