Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SHAKE N' BAKE
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With this cooler weather coming through and water temperatures getting cooler, i can only begin to think that some pompano might start coming through. Im thinking about giving it a try this weekend especially with the north wind. Anybody else getting the same ideas? I know its probably a little early but im getting the itch to catch some pomps!

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
There's some out there now, but watch for the magic window of 72-78 degrees. It'll be on after this front. I'll post a report when I get out there for the first time.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
They'll usually bite well until the water hits about 65 which is right around T'giving. After that last major front of November comes through, it gets very sporadic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone catch them when the surf is flat? With North winds for the next few days the surf will be flat and seems to me nothing really bites that well with a flat surf.

Most of the fish Ive caught were in a 2-4 ft surf. Seems like the larger surf stirs up the bottom and the fish come in to feed?

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Flounder bite fine in flat surf. The main thing I look for is current and some good structure to fish. That's what builds numbers of fish in an area. When there's little current and the bars and troughs are flat, you can still catch them but you have to cover a lot of water per fish.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Ive had great days whens its flat and great days when the surf if up. hypothetically when the surf is breaking on the bars its better due to mixing evertyhing up. I might head out this weekend. Let me know if anyone wants to join. I just looked at NOAA website and temp is at 77.8.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Pomp

if i am at the beach, i am in pomp mode, yes, and knowing the rules of fishing but, always remembering it is called fishing . today one 12 inch flounder chicken bone beach, gulf side

1 - 9 of 9 Posts