Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style="font-weight: bold;">The locals have got to stand together on this thing we are being taken over once again by out of town vultures . I attended the training for my yellow card yesterday in hopes that BP was changing their program to the way it was originally intended to be used, Local commercial and charter fisherman then local recreational fisherman. However while in the class there where groups from Miami with freshly embroidered shirts with no business cards amongst all 7 of them which I found absolutely amazing , grand parents with trawlers and people from Nebraska surfing craigslist while taking the training class looking to buy a couple more boats to enter in the program . UN FREAK IN BELIEVABLE <br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">I have been approached as saying I didn't want the local recreational fisherman in the program THAT IS NOT THE CASE. I want the people immediately displaced taken care of first and if that bothers you I'm sorry I can also assure you that I have stated on the record that after the charter and commercial fisherman are hired we use local recreational fisherman so our money stays here. Thats the way it should be.<br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Please keep in mind that the fishery that you all helped build in one way or the other is in great jeopardy, for how long who knows . Our economy will be tested more than it ever has probably longer than you want to think about so please try and take care of each other ...Those are our jobs their taking and our money. BP is bragging on how many jobs they have created but what they haven't said is how many jobs they have taken away.<br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">STICK TOGETHER!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The second class wasn't any better. There was one commercial boat (us) and two charter boats that I know (Jerry and Tommy), and everyone else really didn't belong. A lot of unemployed people, had several ask if they could work on my boat! I really had to bite my tongue! One of the guys was a freaking electrician who doesn't even own a boat. They had their old ladies taking the class! WTF!

The sh!t hit the fan at the town hall in Orange Beach today.

·
Banned
306 Posts
+1 on what Capt. Paul said.

This is freaking unbelievable that BP has not hired the right people. I was told on May 11 by two BP representatives that I would be called up within the next couple of days, and now it's May 26th and I've yet to get that phone call.

Now some of you might say that BP is paying claims. I can assure you that the money they have paid me is not going to cover my summer or the rest of the year for that matter.

As to BP hiring recreational fishermen and/or boat owners for the VOO; we don't have a problem with that except that those positions should have (as promised) been offered to the truly affected commercial fishermen and charter boat captains and their crews first.

Click link below; it's not just happening to captains in Pensacola.

<a href="http://blog.al.com/live/2010/05/fishermen_charter_boat_operato.html">http://blog.al.com/live/2010/05/fishermen_charter_boat_operato.html</a>

This whole thing is FUBAR.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I am about to feel it too. I am fortunate enough to have been called and put to work in this program for almost three weeks. I found out today that we are about to be laid off so that other people can get a piece of the pie. Will I be replaced by a fellow local charter captain who needs the money as much as I do? If I knew that was the case I would not have a problem. But I know better, it will be by someone who takes there vacation days from (fill in the blank job that is NOT effected by the oil)to make some extra bucks.

Does this make them a bad person, no! They in no way lied or misrepresented themselves to get this job, BP just dropped the ball. And for those of you who may think I'm greedy or selfish, I have been spending the last two nights researching real estate and charter businessesin central and south Fl. I am starring in the face the realization that I may have to move from Pensacola where I was born and raised so I can make a living for my family. I don't want to move. I want to stay here and work.

So for those of you who think the charter fishermen are asking too much, or are only out to line our pockets, imagine that it's you that's out of work and packing your bags. I'm not saying that there are not others who are/will suffer because of this, we're just scared.

·
Registered
912 Posts
+1 Matt I can absolutely understand your situation. I am so tired of the BP officials giving the positions to people that have other jobs and do not rely on fishing or a fishing business to support their families. I have dedicated my entire adult life to the fishing business in our area. This so called mistake can for ever change my situation and everyone that is involved in this great industry. Ihave survived many tough situations from storms to regulations in my 23 years of of Outcast but I have never faced asituation like this. I hope all of us involved in the fishing industry in our area get help so we can survive. This is nothing but a giant S**T sandwich and unfortunately we are all being forced to take a bite. I wish all of you that are being directly affected by this the best of luck and can assure you that I will be here to help as best I can.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
There is also another point that I think is important to mention. I have been on the job for a while now. Today we did our training so we can reposition, maintain, and repair the booms. Until now we have only had athorization to monitor the booms for damage or movement and report back. The training today was actually pretty interesting, I learned a lot about the tools used to contain the oil.

My point is this. If we were a group of boats and crews, charter boats with recreational boats, that were allowed to work, train, and learn our jobs together I think we could be avery effectivetrained workforce when/if the oil comes here. Instead it will be an ever changing group of peoplethat are rotated out of the game as soon as they get a feel for the job.

It's a shame thatthis could be such a useful resource to both the people who are losing money and to the rest of the communityif handled the right way.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The problem is they have jacked up, clogged, ruined the whole system as BP let them causing people who need money the most not be able to make it.... had people not taken advantage of it perhaps there would not be a change out, deactivation, fired, laid off situation, who knows (?)....But certainly people who have been waiting forever to get their charter contract activated would not be waiting to go to work if it wasn't 60/40 + Recs/Industry.

They know what they did!

But all that BS aside, let me add that at this point noone I know has been paid.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Matt Mcleod (27/05/2010)

My point is this. If we were a group of boats and crews, charter boats with recreational boats, that were allowed to work, train, and learn our jobs together I think we could be avery effectivetrained workforce when/if the oil comes here. Instead it will be an ever changing group of peoplethat are rotated out of the game as soon as they get a feel for the job.

It's a shame thatthis could be such a useful resource to both the people who are losing money and to the rest of the communityif handled the right way.
Bingo! If BP was't moreinterestedintherePR, and actually getting somethingaccomplished, we have 50 captains right here, and vessels up to 110', financial backer to get equipment, hazwoper for everyone...ect... ready to go, to LA, or wherever needed. Thee are miles of oil with no boats in site working on it.

I have talked till I ambluein the face to every BP "official", (as the article said, they are PR guys only), called super secret squirrel phone numbers in Alaska that were obtained by questionable means...haa haa...and that 281 number tosubmitfor contractingopportunitiesis a joke. It is a call bank that takes your info just to make you feel like they are reallyinterestedin getting something done.

Not saying I told you so...but I knew this thing was a smoke screen by BP. I am happy for the 10% that did get to work, and will get some money on it though.

I am curious...did they fill your tanks, or did you bill by the formula in the contract?

This ain't over yet.

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Someone told me that there were a bunch that were activated that were being taken off the job. I've been seeing boats parading up and down the ICW that have nothing to do with charter or commercial boats. We were at this training class with Capt. Paul and I saw all the pinheads from S. Florida and the idiot woman with the gravel voice interupting, interjecting, and even BROWNNOSING the BP guys at the end of the class. Just as I suspected... from Sarasota.

It would be quite simple to ID the locals. All of us filled in the blanks as to where we live. Pensacola addresses should have gone to the top of the stack. So far, I am yet to see any of the activated charter boats away from a dock.

As for the pay end of this, Danos and Curole is a sound outfit and I believe that proper invoicing with I's dotted and T's crossed will expedite payment. I did like the way "Big Frank" shrugged off silly questions. I don't plan to leave this area. I moved here 20 years ago and made my mind up that this was the last stop. Despite what naysayers say about Pensacola, they can go somewhere else. Im home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts