Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going try hog hunting this week on new land. I will be stalk hunting during the early to late afternoon. I have killed hogs before, but always while I was deer hunting and always from a stand/shooting house. How hard are they to find and kill while stalk hunting? Do they have good hearing and a good nose like deer?

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's nothing like you have ever done. hunters who have killed hogs on food plots and out of tree stands havnt hog hunted. its when your stalkin them in the thick stuff, but the hardest part of the hunt is to find them, usually listen, that'll be your first way to find em is youll be able to hear them gruntin squealin at each other and just makin a lot of racket. then tryin to see em. Hardest damn animal to figure out when u want to kill one. They'll be in an area one day then be half a mile away the next:banghead .Good luck though they sure are fun if you can find em!!

·
Endangered Red
515 Posts
As others have posted, stay down wind. I actually walked up on about 20 little suckers a couple of years ago and while deciding which one to pop with the .30-06, I decided to go back to the truck and get the pistol. I was able to get about 15 yards from them and was just about to pull the trigger when one I didn't see much closer spotted me. I didn't get one with the pistol but have killed multiple with a long gun. Good luck and always know where the nearest climbing tree is when you get in real close to a biggun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts