Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can find stainless lug nuts but I'm searching for stainless lug bolts for a new trailer to try to make maintenance as easy a possible.

No luck with "stainless steel lug bolt (or lug stud)" on google.

Does anybody know of a source?

Jim

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
Call Hi Tech Marine in Panama City. They have the top of the line trailer building stuff. They just replaced all my U-Bolts with stainless ones but I am not sure if the did the lugs like that.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lobsterman (3/29/2010)Call Hi Tech Marine in Panama City. They have the top of the line trailer building stuff. They just replaced all my U-Bolts with stainless ones but I am not sure if the did the lugs like that.
Thanks, I just called... he said he's never seen one.

Jim

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
I didn't know, the ones they put on my trailer look different than what I used to have, that I do know. What they are made of I don't have a clue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do not quote me on this , but I was told that you should not use stainless for lug bolts because they are more britel than carbon steel and may break. I just put a some grease on mine every time I take them off and never have a problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jim FYI stainless is a softer metal than the steel they use also stainless is prone to galling. Just go to the auto parts and pickup some anti-sieze and give it a good coating and forget about it just my $.02

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
cold beers (3/29/2010)Do not quote me on this , but I was told that you should not use stainless for lug bolts because they are more britel than carbon steel and may break. I just put a some grease on mine every time I take them off and never have a problem.
+1

I was always told not to use grease on lug nuts.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Jim, for what it's worth, I would not put anything stainless on carbon. You're really inviting trouble if you do. I realize you can anti-seize every couple of months and maybe stay out of trouble, but the first time you gall one and have to pull the hub to change a flat tire.....well, you see what I mean.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
johnsonbeachbum (3/29/2010)
Not SS but they do not rust do to the high quality plating.
"Our lug nuts are machined from high quality steel, through-hardened and then triple-nickel chrome plated for durability and long-lasting beauty. Every McGard Lug Nut is guaranteed for life not to rust, chip, or peel!"
http://www.mcgard.com/Home/MarineProducts/TrailerWheelLocksandLugNuts

But the OP is looking for SS lug bolts.
Maybe I should have looked harder but when it says "Stainless Steel Lug Nuts" I thought that what it was. Sorry.

<TABLE style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=cg_text2 colSpan=2>Gorilla: Gorilla Stainless Steel Lug Nuts </TD></TR><TR><TD class=cg_text3 style="WIDTH: 70%" vAlign=top><TABLE style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px"><TBODY><TR><TD class=cg_text3><SPAN class=cg_ProductInfoCurrentPriceLabel>Price:<SPAN class=cg_ProductInfoCurrentPriceCurrency>$45.00</TD></TR><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 40px" align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts