Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those wings mounted just above the cavitation plate on an outboard.

Do they work? Is it a function of motor and boat combo. You'd think if they worked in all configurations the motor manufacturers would build them on the engine. Perhaps it only works on lighter boats?

Are they supposed to do anything more than improve the hole shot?

Asking for the new boat... 21' Flats/Bay, 225 Evinrude ETEC.

Boat weighs 1300 lbs, motor another 520 lbs. Up to65 gallons of fuel (450 lbs or so), Up to120 gallons of live well (840 lbs), 2 people (400 lbs), another 100 lb's of gear or so. so 3600 lbs or so total

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Hey Jim, I doubt you would need one. They are for boats that need a little help getting on plane, or staying on plane at lower speeds. Just my 02.

·
Super Moderator
29,285 Posts
I put 1 on my sled and it does the job....I take the kids ski/tubing alot and it gets outta the hole quicker and on plane....I haven't noticed any increase in speed or gas mileage but it works fer me....Hardest part I had was drilling into the motor:banghead:letsdrink:letsdrink:letsdrink

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have one on my boat. The two things that I have noticed is that I can get onto plane with little to no bow rise. Also I am able to maintain plane at speeds as slow as 13 MPH. Dont think that i would be able to do that without one.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If your boat is under powered, they will help get it up on plane quicker and hold it, as said. I can tell first hand that they will notgive you better overall fuel economy as most advertise.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
when i was a kid we had an old terry bass boat with a 60 mariner, it worked for that boat it rode higher in the water, and stabalized it tremendously, the boat itself never actually had a hole shot it was just gas and go. Later we bought a 16ft blazer bass boat with a evinrude 140, hotfoot throttle, we put one it and it came off instantly i think we pulled up on a sand bar and pops was dismantling the thing before the prop stopped moving. as i remember it seemed like it caused alot drag. When i bought my boat 19ft aluminum hull dual console with a 90 merc. i tried one of the higher perfomance types with a curve in it. It made it one trip and it came off it seemed to cause alot of drag and when i would make a turn the prop would come out of the water. I think they may work for smaller boats with less power, but thats just my experience. hope it helps.

If you do try one SAVE EVERYTHING the package bolts the piece of paper that tells you how to install it and make sure they will take it back if you don't like it. We got ours from Boaters World and the manager said he couldn't take it back because i had chunked the paper insert, i didn't argue with him it wasn't a big deal to me. But later as we were looking at other things i needed he came back and said he would take it back because we had such a good attitude initially, he was a cool store manager.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I put one on all of my boats, It shortens the time to plane noticably on my 26'ceria, especially if we are fully loaded for a weekend camping trip or with a bunch of folks..........On my li'll j-16 carolina skiff w/o trim, it keeps the bow from bouncing when running solo..........Havent had time to run the 15' CC to see if it improved the ride since I installed it...............But to answer your question, I belive they work well when you are margionally powered and need a little extra help...................

Just make sure it's installed correctly...................:doh

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/fishingforum/Topic527643-3-1.aspx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts