Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming down in a few weeks for about 10 days and I'm bringing my revo. I'm staying at the rv park at St. Joseph, I'm hoping that the weather will cooperate for some off shore action, maybe even get into some Cobia but if the weather doesn't cooperate how is the fishing in the bay itself? Any locations I should head for? I know this is a little bit away from most of you but I was hoping someone had some knowledge. Thanks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I haven't fished there in a few years, but my family spent the 3rd week of May there for 14 consecutive years. We always fished the Cape side of the bay because the fishing was excellent around any of the many grass beds. It wasn't really hard to find trout and reds anywhere from the back bay to the point in 3 to 6 feet of water. Water temps in the 75-80 range provided better fishing. Because of water clarity, you must be very stealthy. Look for sandy areas among the grass and work the edges. The lure didn't seem to matter, but we snagged the bigger fish using live pinfish caught with a bait net. Later in the day we had good luck with Spanish, kings, and jacks trolling jigs and dusters about a mile off the Cape in 25-30 feet of water. Maybe someone else has insight on the St. Joe side. Hopefully you will get some good weather with water temps at least in the 70's. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I'm staying at the park where I can easily put into the gulf or be on the cape side of the bay really quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts