Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming down with kayak to try my luck for the month of Feb on the bay.
Can anyone out there give me any GPS#'s or clues on catching anything?
Staying on the cape, love to fish with live bait, any place I can catch some with my cast net at that time of year? A friend of mine uses nothing but Gulp shrimp but I am a live bait fisherman from Ohio and I would really like to try it here! Also looking for a mothership trip out in the gulf, if anyone knows of such a thing! Found a place out of Mexico City!
Or if anyone knows of any one with a boat that will carry a couple of yaks out to any of the wrecks off shore, stay there with us and bring us back I would be glad to make it worth there while.

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,003 Posts
I don't know a lot about that area but have used the State Park facilities at the end of the road. There is a huge area in that part of the bay with grass bottom that is full of sealife. I don't think there is any place to buy live bait out there so better get it in Port St. Joe and figure a way to catch your own. I did see several yaks out fishing the area. This was in the Fall of last year. This time of year I don't have a clue except the deep canals to the Intercoastal should hold fish due to colder wether. Have heard of some good speckled trout being caught in the canals. That would be in the St. Joe area.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You can usally get fresh bait at the Scallop Cove BP station. There is a small cove past the boat ramp in the state park where it is easy to put your yak in at. There are also a couple of spots prior to the park that you can use to fish the bay and these might be good spots to put in to try for some reds in Feb. You can also check in with with http://www.bluewateroutriggers.net/index.cfm when you get into PSJ. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
St Joe Bay

The scallop cove bait shop does not open until March, that does me no good for the month of Feb.
Last year when I was down I was able to cast net a few mullet off my dock and cut them up. (for bait and supper)Would love to find something live about 2-3 inches to try under a slip bobber out in deeper waters in the bay. Would those small crabs that run around on the shoreline be any good out in deep water?
Any body know of anything else I can use at this time of year? and were?

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,003 Posts
fiddlers

ride135..... those are most likely 'fiddler crabs' running round on the beach. They are excellent bait for sheephead, reds, and just about anything in the bay. I have heard there are areas over there at times they are all over the place. Have fun trying to catch those things!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anybody out there have any tricks to catching them?
Were in the bay would be the best spot for sheephead?
Anybody on the forum live down there near the Cape that wants to get together come Feb. and try our luck?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts