Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice cool morning with a 5-10 N wind. My grass flats were to shallow to be productive today so I hit some docks with Gulp Shrimp and got several dink Trout, 2 rat Reds, 1 Slot red at 27"(8 3/4 lbs) and a 14" Flounder. Lost 2 Flounder at the boat...lower slot size. Headed in at 8:30...got pretty hot and boat trafiic picked up.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
thanks for the report and the pics, and that is a stud red on what I would call a difficult redfish day!!

...and you're right, there were a lot of boats out today, not to mention a bunch of Jet Ski knats!

Had one blow around me and thenin front of meright thru the fish!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies...

Wanted to let you all know that I tried "Redfish On The Half Shell" with this mornings catch. For those of you who have never tried it your missing out. This is a easy and very rewarding way to cook Reds. Here is how to prepare it if you dont already know..

Fillet a Redfish but leave the skin and scales intact...I cut my ribs out but its preference.

Take the 2 fillets and lightly coat Olive oil on both sides and place the skin side down on a plate.Then sprinkle Salt,Pepper,Garlic Salt and a good amount of paprika to the meat side. Preheat your grill to 400 degrees then put them on skin side down. Close grill and cook for 8-12 min depending on your fish quantity. My nearly 9 pound Red took 12 min. Came out great...no mess or smelly kitchen either. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure we have them at 9lb at the legal 27''. The one I cooked was 8 3/4 lb but i've got them at 9 lb before. Especially this time of year when they got a belly full of blue crabs.

Bay Pirate (5/31/2009)Better be Shssssh on the 9lb red, we don't have legal ones, that will hit that weight!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
To my knowledgethere has only been two reds in the last 10 years weighed in a Pensacola tournament thatwere over 8. You would be surprised what it takes to make a slot fish wiegh over 8lbs. I mean think about it! The cup came here the last few years and the largest fish that has been wieghed in was just over 7. We have had 3 Pensacola ECRCT this year and the largest fish weighed in was a little over 7. The Outcast fish that Josh and Dusty weighed in wasn't even 8 lbs.

They just don't come that big around here. The largest one I have ever caught in this area was 71/2 and I fish 3 times a week.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Brant Peacher (6/3/2009)To my knowledgethere has only been two reds in the last 10 years weighed in a Pensacola tournament thatwere over 8. You would be surprised what it takes to make a slot fish wiegh over 8lbs. I mean think about it! The cup came here the last few years and the largest fish that has been wieghed in was just over 7. We have had 3 Pensacola ECRCT this year and the largest fish weighed in was a little over 7. The Outcast fish that Josh and Dusty weighed in wasn't even 8 lbs.

They just don't come that big around here. The largest one I have ever caught in this area was 71/2 and I fish 3 times a week.
:withstupid you can get them that size in LA but a 9lb red here is unheard of

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I need to get in some local tournaments then ....or get my Boga recalibrated :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts