Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is a little early but given current events our group is looking hard at making a run to the Spur on Friday. It is still open for fishing and the latest reports I can find show it in blue-ish, relatively warm water. As best I can tell, there does not appear to be any oil in that area (or between that area and OB). Maybe we will luck into a hooter or two, possibly some early dolphin. Only one way to find out.

Does anyone have any info to contradict what I am seeing on the sat images / trajectory maps? The last thing we want to do is get out there and hit the slick.

Also, I have the coordinates for the fishing closure area. The most direct path to the Spur from OB cuts across the outer tip of the closure area. I would assume it is permissible to run across the no fishing zone, just not OK to fish inside it, but again, if someone has better please advise.

Anyone else considering the same?

·
Registered
75 Posts
considering the same. per NOAA, you can run through the closure area, you just cannot fish within the closure area. you can return through the closure area with fish etc. they are going to consider re-evaluating the closure are more frequently than every 10 days to the extent they have good information that could better dictate which areas need to remain closed, and which may be re-opened.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. For some reason I cannot get NOAA's link to the Fed. Reg. notice to open, so I am a little short on details. Being able to traverse the closure area will certainly save time and gas.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm going to try and get out Saturday, but the wave/wind directionmay dictate where I go. Looks like there is some good water to fish in.

I also think the ban is for our own safety. Big Gov doesn't want you eating possibly contaminated fish. :banghead

1 - 5 of 5 Posts