Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to fill in a low spot in the hull of my boat to keep water from pooling in it. It is only about 2' long,1' wide and 6" deep. Is there a spray foam insulation/flotation product I can use for this? Will the DOW spray foam you get at Lowe's work or will it become waterlogged?

thanks

·
Registered
310 Posts
Stay away from the stuff at Lowes, most of it is an open cell foam and it has no purpose in a boat. You want a closed cell foam which you can get in a spray type but it's expensive and it sounds like a 2 part pourable foam would work better. Do a search for 2 part polyurethane, you can get it in many densities with a 2lb the most common for flotation and non structural use. It will expand a lot so you should get a feel for how much to mix before you try it on the boat.

KP

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
KPTN (3/15/2010)Stay away from the stuff at Lowes, most of it is an open cell foam and it has no purpose in a boat. You want a closed cell foam which you can get in a spray type but it's expensive and it sounds like a 2 part pourable foam would work better. Do a search for 2 part polyurethane, you can get it in many densities with a 2lb the most common for flotation and non structural use. It will expand a lot so you should get a feel for how much to mix before you try it on the boat.

KP

X-2

Wear gloves....Tape plastic sheeting down on the deck around the area so that you don't spill any on the deck where you do not want it.

Once the 2 components and poured together you need to stir them aprox 45sec and then be pouring.

West Marine has a small amount of 2lb density.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts