Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
i thought about getting one of those as just a cheapy to toss into my ditch bag/survival kit/flight bag.....but then i realized it wasn't so cheap with the $100+ a yearsubscription fee. but all the reviews i've read have had nothing but good things to say about them

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me the biggest advantages are the help messages you can send to friends as well as the "check in " feature. If you're running late fishing or hunting and out of cell range you can send a message with the push of the button. The google earth interphase is pretty cool too for tracking and locating someone if necessary. I like the fact it uses AA batteries that are cheap, easy to storeand common.

I can even use it on local lakes ( non navigable) that aren't covered by the Coast Guard. With a help message my friends can find me and help me fast or if it's an emergency the local rescue folks are called.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought I'd update the thread with a "check in" message my daughter has sent. I get a text message on the phone with the same info as the email.If you click on the link you can select map or satellite. This thing is well worth the money and works as advertised!<DIV class="ReadMsgHeader ClearBoth"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=ReadMsgSubject colSpan=2>OK Unit Number: 0-? edited</TD></TR><TR><TD class=SecondaryTextColor>From:</TD><TD>[email protected]</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>
<SPAN class=SenderSafetyMsg>You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as unsafe</TD></TR><TR><TD class=SecondaryTextColor>Sent:</TD><TD>Sat 1/12/08 4:37 PM</TD></TR><TR><TD class=SecondaryTextColor>To: </TD><TD>[email protected]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV><DIV class="ReadMsgBody BorderTop"><DIV class="ExternalClass PlainTextMessageBody" id=MsgContainer><PRE>Just checking in, Love you guys. Alex
Unit Number: 0-edited
Latitude: 12.148
Longitude: -86.1854
Nearest Town from unit Location: Las Mercedes, Nicaragua
Distance to the nearest town: 2 km(s)
Time in GMT the message was sent: 01/12/2008 21:37:10
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=12.148,-86.1854&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1
</PRE></DIV></DIV>

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
That would be sweet if you could remotely activate it and thus use it as a vehicle theft recovery tool.

But for what it does already it is not too expensive.

For theft tracking you could get one of these:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/security/mobilelock/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts