Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this will be the third time i have used braided line and the first two times my spool knot was very loose. its a tricky thing for me with no stretch to get it tight. any help?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
put a few yards of mono backing on first then spool your braid....when i respool myself i always let all of it out then wind it back on when i get on the boat so it goes on nice and tight

·
Registered
755 Posts
Spool a few yards of mono on first then tie a uni to uni and spool your braid on top. This will stop the braid from spinning on your spool, if you can find a line spooler to spool your braid, you will get it much tighter and prevent it from digging into the line still on the spool when you apply heavy pressure when fighting a fish.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Will is right...For the spool knot Ive always used a palomar..Then a uni to uni or albright to line..You will def want backing when using braid..Also Ive seen a lot of people who spool there self get wind knots..Just bring it by the bait shop one day and have them do it..

·
Registered
574 Posts
rap a piece of electrical or duct tape around the spool then make your knot in the braid. the tape will keep your knot from slipping

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have a spooling station in my garage if your on the west side

·
Registered
337 Posts
You do not tie the knot around the spool. Put the line around the spool and tie the tag endof theline around the standing line with a uni, now slide this knot down the line until it is tight.If you are worried about slipping, put some tape on the spool first. I have never found tape necessary.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx to all of you for the excellent advice i think that until i can get someone to show me in person dylans suggestion to take it to a takcle shop will have to do. when i bring it in will they automatically back my spool or do i need to specifically request that they do?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Mark Sosin?s tip was to wrap a layer of tape around the spool first. This will give a surface the braid can dig into.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
We always put a layer of double-sided tape or electrical tape down on the spool. It may not always be necessary but I've had reels come back to me because of the whole spool of braid slipping.I wouldn't say it is common but a small strip of tape is an easy, cheap precaution to take before spooling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts