Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mostly flyfish off of my kayak but am getting into using spinning rods, b/c I figure I will be able to catch more fish some days. I am not that familiar with spinning rod and reel setups. What is a good model rod and reel for kayak fishing.......length etc. I am not looking for the most expensive equipment, just good quality stuff that holds up.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
Look at the Shimano Spheros and Terramar. They are real tough.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'll ditto the Stradic in 2500-4000 size. I fish a 2500 size and have had no trouble with any inshore fish. It can also handle bonito. I have two 2500FH which have lasted over 3 years and are still my main reels. They have been dunked, drowned, dragged, and are still as smooth as new. Definitely worth the extra over a Sahara or Symetre. It has different innards which are stronger and inherently smoother I think.

For a rod anything that is light and sensitive. Too many people skimp on the rod not realizing you will be holding it all day. Go light and about 7' seems to work for me.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I agree with Shimano reels and a 7 foot rod. Light line will let you cast for distance.

·
Registered
213 Posts
rod length is really a personal preference. I happen to like the length of a 7' 10" or 8' to easily manuever around the bow or stern of the kayak but some like a little shorter. your choice.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hot Spots in Gulf Breeze recently got in a bunch of American Rodsmith Kayak fishing rods. I have been using mine for a few weeks and love it! It has a short rod butt, is very light and extremely tough.(I've have already put it through the ringer and was surprised it didn't break on several occasions.) It is thebest light rod that I have ever owned.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
My most recent rod purchase has been an all star 7' surf rod. 1/2 oz. to 3 oz. spinner. I have a daiwa 3500 on it with 20# braid. I can cast a regular trout lure a mile with it on the flats and yet still use it for fishing the gulf for kings. Hope this to be my most versatile rod over the pair of old yellow and black 7'0' tiger, ugly sticks, that I bought 20 years ago. The star rod is about half the weight and has a very long butt for leverage action using my lap as a rod base.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts