Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears the last rig I need to add to my arsenal would be a setup to fill this niche. I would hate to pass by a cobe or something else and not have a setup big enough to handle it. I recently happened upon two 6000 battle's for a hell of a price but they're pretty big and heavy so I'm thinking about selling one, picking up a 5k reel, and keeping the other to use in the surf. I'm a big fan of shimano stuff but open to any other quality reels that'll last.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
Check out the new Spheros SW 5000. Awesome looks and feel.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Kinda hard to beat an old Mitchell 302/402...

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
I have tried the Penn Battle 5000, and liked the Sargus Reels before they discontinued them... But now I really like the Quantum Catalyst and Smoke PT for my lite duty inshore fishing 3000-4000.... and they are available in a 5000 series saltwater reel (that I'll probably end up with a couple before I'm done).

These Quantum reels are really lite and smooth....

My favorite offshore go to is the Penn Spinfisher V. We have the 8500 for lite trolling, drifting, and pitching. Pretty good for king and cobia- we didn't really get them for long casting.

I also have a Shimano Sphereos 14000 on an 8' cobia rod that I've had for awhile. I used to have it on a 10' Ugly Stick surf rod. It's a good reel too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out the new Spheros SW 5000. Awesome looks and feel.
I've been drooling over the Saragosa SW's for awhile, didn't realize they released a spheros though. I've always thought the original spheros were a little bulky. Do you use one of these? $200 is a pretty good price for that. I might have to sell both these battles now!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
The Spheros is the best bang for your buck reel that I have found. It is also a work horse and will put some fish in the boat.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Another vote for the ssv penn. I have been using a 4500 for a little over a year now and am quite impressed. Caught an 18 pound snapper on it and triggerfish up to nine pounds. Unbelievable drag. I had a 5000 Penn Conquer that I loved but unfortuately it is resting on the bottom now.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have a 6500ssv I use in the surf as well but I'd have to get a shorter rod to throw it or the battle on. It looks like the only difference between the 5500 and the 6500 is an ounce of weight and the higher line cap.
I guess another reason why I'm looking at getting an additional reel is so I can have enough setups for when I'm taking friends or my dad out with me. If I decide to keep one of the battles, I might just buy a spare spool for the ssv or the battle and throw some braid on it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I picked up a battle 6000 and an 8 ft BPS cobia special for 110, total, at bps. Awesome combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
661 Posts
i personally have a 8000 saragosa SW that i use for cobia. although i have not caught anything on it yet it feels like a nice solid reel. i did have a 8000f before this one and it caught plenty of Ajs/kings with no problem.

I would also take a hard look at the Spinvisher V. I stopped using Penn reels years ago and converted to shimano but i am really contemplating on buying one right now. I have caught a few fish on a 5500 and it feels like a nice solid reel

·
Registered
188 Posts
Battles are solid reels, I have a 5k and an 8k, (just completely tore the 5k down this evening for a little cleaning and greasing). Also have the ole Spin V in 4500 and it is a smooth one for sure. I am on an inshore kick right now though and was just looking at the aforementioned Sustain. Pretty little reel with a nice little tag on it as well. Still dwelling over that dilemma... All this being said, I suggest you go out and grab up a new Stella then post up pics so we can all be jealous:yes:!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Battles are solid reels, I have a 5k and an 8k, (just completely tore the 5k down this evening for a little cleaning and greasing). Also have the ole Spin V in 4500 and it is a smooth one for sure. I am on an inshore kick right now though and was just looking at the aforementioned Sustain. Pretty little reel with a nice little tag on it as well. Still dwelling over that dilemma... All this being said, I suggest you go out and grab up a new Stella then post up pics so we can all be jealous:yes:!
I've gotta win the lottery before I can even think about doing that!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts