Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been looking a long time now at both hobie and native.
I have a few questions if you guys don't mind.

Speed: equally sized & equipped, same approx. weight, etc....which is OVERALL faster?

Accessories: are they pretty much equally matched in product availability?

Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
519 Posts
My ff/gps says i go about 3mph avg speed on my hobie pro angler fully rigged. I can get it to about 3.5-4 but its just take to much work.

·
Formerly Hank Hill
839 Posts
Bruce, you thinkin' about comming to the dark side? You have a sweet ride that doesn't burn gas.
I test drove both before I got my Hobie. With the turbo fins ( an upgrade) the Hobie goes faster, but, there's more resistance. I understand there is now an upgrade prop for Native, similar to the turbo finsm that came out recently, but, I have not tested it.

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
I have the newest prop on the Mariner courtesy of,Bahen at PKS. I have not been able to,really compare it to others speed yet. Should get a good comparison this Saturday. The previous prop did good at keeping up with others.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
My buddy Oscar had the native and I with my outback and turbo fins. Very close in speed but I would say the hobie was faster. The motion is different to propel. It's best to try both and weigh the pros and cons. I love my outback and prefer it over native

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bruce, you thinkin' about comming to the dark side? You have a sweet ride that doesn't burn gas.
I test drove both before I got my Hobie. With the turbo fins ( an upgrade) the Hobie goes faster, but, there's more resistance. I understand there is now an upgrade prop for Native, similar to the turbo finsm that came out recently, but, I have not tested it.
Mac, yep...I'm considering it.
I just want a bit more range and will either do the make-over and modifications to my current ride I mentioned OR get a yak..

The reason for speed is just to get past non-productive water and get to my preferred spots...both are great fishing machines and owning either would be a blast.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the newest prop on the Mariner courtesy of,Bahen at PKS. I have not been able to,really compare it to others speed yet. Should get a good comparison this Saturday. The previous prop did good at keeping up with others.
Jason;

If you don't mind...give me a follow up on how the new prop does Vs. the older one.

BTW...do you ever stand and fish out of your mariner?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will throw my two cents in on this, hope it helps. I have very limited yak experience but I also looked long and hard, a peddle kayak just seemed to make better sense to me. I talked to Jason some about his Mariner, I tested both and went with a mango Mariner. The mariner is probably not as fast as the outback with turbo fins or the PA but what sold me on the Mariner was,, it cost less, a lot less than the PA, its quite a bit lighter, I can handle mine by myself and I'm 52, its a handful but I can do it the PA to me would require a trailer. The day I tested the Mariner with Bahen at PKS I stood up with no effort, reached down and pedaled it backwards with my hand, pretty sweet. I have not been offshore in mine but fishing docks and sea walls the reverse is huge for me, also reversing when you have a fish on has been great. I would imagine offshore the reverse is not really a big deal, plenty of room and nothing in the way but close quarters its great. I also just preferred the bicycle motion of the Mariner to the back and forth of the Hobie, it just felt more natural to me. Like everyone else, try both, neither are cheap and decide what fits you best.

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
And if I did not have reverse last trip offshore a king would have spooled me. I had two,lines out trolling and could not turn to chase. I backed down on that bitch!!!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
And if I did not have reverse last trip offshore a king would have spooled me. I had two,lines out trolling and could not turn to chase. I backed down on that bitch!!!
Lets not exaggerate now! :thumbsup:

The mirage drive system is more efficient then the propel. Ive gone side by side with some one with a propel and I could stroke, stop, stroke, stop while he was pedaling non stop and I was still going faster then he was!

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
JD is right. I feel the most energy loss is when the pedals are at the 2-4 and 8-10 o clock positions. The new Slayer has been designed to put your hips in line with the pedals to help with that.

Not exagerating JD!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts