Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you are on the flats, try using a mirrolure, red head white body. This a proven killer for years. Also drop by one of the many tackle shops, they will be more than willing to help you out with anyquestions that you have.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dynamite works for sure! However, bycatch can be a problem.

Try that 7M11 mirrolure (a floater withred head and white body). Now that's for dirty water. When the water is clear go to gold or silver.Work the lure slowly as if thelure was trying to divebut kept floating to the surface.Yankyourrodtip downto make the lure pop the water. That noise will attrack the fish. Pop-one-two-three-four, pop-one-two-three-four. Two-three-four you are letting the lure float back to the surface.

Other things you need to pay attention to is to have about 2 feet of good clear leader and have your spool filled to capacity (I like braid 6lb diameter) so you can make long casts. Look for movement on the surface and cast towardthe movement.

I pretty much use a gold mirrolure 90% of the time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah brother, the mirror lures are working the best right now, especially the mirror minnows. Anything will work, you have to fish the proper water level. Plastics will work just fine, pop it and let it fall towards the bottom. Keep this up and a speck should pop you back on the falling motion. Just work it slow.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,091 Posts

That's a "Cajun Thunder" cork with a pea weight added to the bottom side so it stands up straight in the water, about 2' of 15# flourocarbon leader and a small hook.

Hook a live shrimp in the tail or under the horn and throw it out on the grass flats... every 15 seconds or so twitch the cork soyou can hear it just pop a little.If you get a bunch of little bites and the shrimp loses it's legs, it's pinfish, just move to slightly deeper water.

Not as much fun as artificial, but it'll produce a lot more for newbys and kids.

Jim

PS... Best times for Specks on the flats is sunrise or sunset, especially with moving water. The water is still a little cold on the flats, there is some fish there, but another month and they'll be there in force.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you want to target speckled trout the best possible lure out there is the DOA shrimp. For spring I prefer the 3" glow and for fall and winter 3" clear w/ gold flakes. If speckled trout are there they will bite...so if you ain't gettin' any bites it's time for a new fishing hole!

I have been using them for years and time after time they have outfished live shrimp and finger mullet... which frustrates the mess out of my buddies who prefer live over artificial.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As one of the previous post suggest, the red/white combo is a tried and true lure. Lately I have found that the Mirrolure Mirrodine is very productive. I have been using any of the silver sided ones. Someone also suggested moving around. If after 15 or so minutes you get no bites, MOVE. Right now I would say fish deeper water until the water temps rise. Sunday the water temp. where I was fishing in the bay was around 70 degrees. When the grass on the flats starts to grow in and the water temps get to 78-79, drift the flats. You will cover ground and when you get a hit circle back and drift it again.

Hope this helps and good luck

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I took 10 fish from 20-26 inches on monday. I caught 7 on a 5 inch chartreuse jerkbait on a 1/8oz. jighead and the other 3 on a DOA baitbuster, pearl with a black back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have to second skiff35, the Mirrodine has quickly become a go-to bait for me. I like the black over orange silver-side. I've caught Specks, Reds, and Pompano on that bait in the same morning.

Hardbaits: Mirrodine (black/orange), 7M mirrolure (silver or gold), Zara Spook (clear)

Softbaits: Gulp! 3" shrimp rigged your favorite way (jighead, popping cork,etc.), 5" jerk bait on flutter hook, Texas style, or dropshot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts