Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Constitution Conservative
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My youngest son had a special request for Sliced pork instead of Pulled.
So I rubbed a boneless butt with extra love, bound it securely to help with even cooking and I'm determined to make him happy.

It's in the smoker with Hickory at 245°-260°, aiming to pull at an IT of 170°.

Here it is all prepped and ready.

As usual, an early start requires a good breakfast.

Huevos Rancheros con Tocino
Freshly made refried beans
Double thick weave of bacon spiced with Cayenne
Three fresh eggs sunny side up
Toasted tortillas

More to come.

·
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of cheese is that?

It all looks fantastic as usual.
Thanks, stand by for the finished pork, IT is at 167°.

The cheese is Queso Anjeo, a semi-soft crumbling cheese, very tasty.

·
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finished, Rested and Sliced
An 8 hour cook brought it to an IT of 170°, it probed just about butter tender.
Just the slightest resistance to the probe and it sliced real nice, fork tender, juicy goodness.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Man that roast looks good. if i could only have one meal a day for the rest of my life, it would have to be breakfast. i could eat breakfast 3 times a day. eggs,eggs, eggs! eggs go with everything.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I am so disappointed that all the pictures from the things you made in the past are not shown anymore! I only noticed cause I was looking back through seeing what idea I could steal for dinner tonight. The pork looks great by the way!

·
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am so disappointed that all the pictures from the things you made in the past are not shown anymore! I only noticed cause I was looking back through seeing what idea I could steal for dinner tonight. The pork looks great by the way!
I know, right... F'ing Photobucket! :mad:

·
Super Moderator
28,374 Posts
Pulled at 170? Wasn't that tough? I know about 180 is when I like it, then again I hate chewing at all!!! Did a steak last night and the flavor was there but soooooo much grissle, I gave most of it to the dogs!!! Looks like a great meal though!

·
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An 8 hour cook brought it to an IT of 170°, it probed just about butter tender.
Just the slightest resistance to the probe and it sliced real nice, fork tender, juicy goodness.
Pulled at 170? Wasn't that tough? I know about 180 is when I like it, then again I hate chewing at all!!! Did a steak last night and the flavor was there but soooooo much grissle, I gave most of it to the dogs!!! Looks like a great meal though!
No sir,
it was super tender and juicy, heck at one 180° this particular Butt would have had to been pulled cause it would've fallen apart when sliced.
If I was intending it for Pulled Pork and took it too 200°-205° without probing at lower temps, it would've been overcooked mush.

USDA guidelines minimum safe temp for pork is 145°.
But pork depending on the cut and amount of fat has a range of anywhere from 145°-210° to achieve tender and juicy.
And since we're not relying on IT alone for a desired doneness, we must also Probe for tenderness.
Butter tender is the ideal most pitmasters are seeking for most fatty cuts of pork, especially those we'll be pulling.

Every cut of meat can vary, so take that temp and probe for best results.

The only exception is beef being cooked to desired doneness, e.g. med-rare, then IT is everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts