Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to try for some spanish mackerel in the morning on the yak. I've never tried for them so I need some help. From what I've heard, gotcha lures are good as well as trolling a Clark Spoon. Is the best approach to just look for them hitting bait and throw into the middle? I was thinking about putting in around chicken bone. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would throw a bit past the bait with a Gotcha, and use a very fast retrieve (relatively speaking) through the bait. Prepare for a reaction strike. If you're into a school, get that one off the hook and get your line back out.

Also, use a uni-to-uni knot tied to 12 to 18 inches of 30-40# fluoro, with a Kreh knot tied to the lure. You want low visibility and plenty of action on the lure.

This was my son in April of this year:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I fish for them quite often here in FWB. I usally tie off under the shalimar bridge and use a chartruse jig. I cast out let it sink and jig up, if they are there they hit it. I use a 40# flouro leader with a uni. Dont use a swivel, they will hit it and cut you off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts