Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DFW Fisherman
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am trying to find/catch Spanish in the Choctawhatchee Bay trolling with silver Clark spoon, but can't seem to find any. Am using 4 oz weight with 20 foot of leader;trolling about 4.5 mph. Am I doing it right? Was trolling the channel from 98 bridge, north along crab island up to Joe's Bayou. Can anyone suggest how to deliver the fish? Thanks in advance.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,852 Posts
How big is the spoon? Ditch the weight, they're not on the bottom.
And you can shorten the leader (assuming it's wire) by 19 ft.
Gotta ask, what lb rating is the leader?

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
All you need is a 1' leader, and work the bay until you see them crashing bait on the surface. Then cast the spoon to them. First find the bait pods!

·
DFW Fisherman
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How big is the spoon? Ditch the weight, they're not on the bottom.
And you can shorten the leader (assuming it's wire) by 19 ft.
Gotta ask, what lb rating is the leader?
Thanks kanaka: 3" Clark spoon; leader is 80 lb floro. The guy at Half Hitch said to run about 16-20 foot out behind the rod tip, so that's not much behind the boat. Maybe the speed was not enough?? I did have a couple lizards strikes. :thumbdown:

Two days ago we were fishing the wrecks in the bay and caught four Spanish on the bottom using cut bait. Two of them were nice keepers.

Anyway, I'm still searching for the right presentation to catch them.

Thanks for everyone's comments!:thumbup:

·
DFW Fisherman
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All you need is a 1' leader, and work the bay until you see them crashing bait on the surface. Then cast the spoon to them. First find the bait pods!
Thanks lobsterman - by bait pods - I assume you are using some kind of sonar, i.e. Garmin, Lowrance, etc. I've got two HDS units on my pontoon and am seeing lots of bait, but no big ones around them.

Two days ago while searching the bay - I spotted a huge school of very large fish running south (near north end of crab island) to the north towards the wrecks. There must have been more than 200 of them, and they were very hard to follow! They were near the bottom and showed up very well on the sidescan.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
You can also see the bait flittering on the surface and spanish crashing through them. You probably found a big school of bull reds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts