Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Clay-Doh (11/15/2007)

One thing felix got to mention is the other guy on our team, hatescheese, had the same 42" gun, and he lost a fish or two?? :poke
ha, Yeah, going to have to learn that boy how to finish off a big fish.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
thanks a bunch you allz. y'all are animals, i mean straight up gurus, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Which would yall get the 63" Magnum (3Band) or the Sawed off Magnum which is 53"?

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Get my 63" magnum!!!!!!:) Seriously...It is the first speargun I ever shot, and still shootin it. Weather you buy mine or someone elses used, or new, you can take bigger fish from farther away with a bigger gun.

Evenif you just want to get down there and shoot abuttload of small 16" fish, you can still just cock one or 2 bands on the big gun and still have the same poweras the smaller gun and all the time ittook to cock all 3 bands. SO ull still get more quicker shots and reloads for schools of smaller fish with a bigger gun.

BUT...the good thing is...when you seethat 20 pound snapperor big ole AJ from about 15 feet away, wont it be nice to not go to the boat and tell everybody bout the one you saw?

PUT THAT BIIIATCH ON YER STRINGER!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
i found a new magnum on leisure pro for 202 dollars and like 210 after ship. How much you selling yours for?

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
lesurepro is usually $219 and $13 on shipping.

Thats a dang good price. Mine is listed in the scuba gear fir sale section, but its lot more cuz it has a few goodys on it!:shedevil

Be wary of theNEW JBL's...and if you look up further in this post, you will see fenderbender said that also. They are havin problems with various parts.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
It was asked, so I will paste my answer about hte new JBL's here for anyone else thinking of getting one.

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlPrivateMessage_ctlPanelBar_ctlPrivateMessageRepeater__ctl1_lblFullMessage>Yes, it is brand new, and I had to 1st send back the shaft, and get a new one because the shaft near the slide ring stop was not machined down and the slide ring jammed on after the first shot. I also hadthesameproblem with a newsahft I bought last spring for the woody magnum after I broke mine on a big AmberJack.

After I got the shaft problem straightened out and tried shooting it one more time, the trigger housing got a small crack in it.
I sent the entire gun back to JBL, and over 2 months later got a new one. I fully checked it, and tested it, and it's good.

DKdiver, and Rocklobster do dive charters, and have wholesale acounts with a lot of the suppliers, and have had the same type of problems.

FenderBender and CurtyV worked at BayBreeze Dive, and they had problems with several new guns, one even fired by itself without pulling the trigger!

I dont know what has happened to there quality control there, but it seems like it is hit or miss as far as getting a good piece of equipment, if you get something that doesnt work, or breaks first time, then waiting forever to get it replaced. Assholes even tried to make me pay shipping!

If I were buying a new JBL, I would only buy from a local dive shop, where I could handle the gun, ask to cock it, ect, to make sure you get one of the good ones. The old ones are near indestructable.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Clay-Doh (11/15/2007)

One thing felix got to mention is the other guy on our team, hatescheese, had the same 42" gun, and he lost a fish or two?? :poke
The only reason it (only missed 1) didn't get on the stringer isbecause it was bigger than Felix's fish (only by a few pounds) andI REALLY needed to sharpen the spear tip (can you say blunt...). and the sun was in my eyes.and a dog barked when i shot.:doh

42 is a good gun to start with. It will kill big enough fish for a while and won't let you get tempted to get drug around by a 50lb AJ because you'll know you can't shoot too big of a fish. Nothing wrong with progressing from something smaller and going up in size when you get more experience diving and spearing.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
been reading about a daryll wong speargun. they look alot like a riffe and cost about the same. that is what my dive shop sales. anybody know some pros or cons.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Come on, B! I know you've shot the Wong and I see those long shots you can take with your Riffe...tell the boy what he wants to hear! Don't tell me you lean to the Wong!? :doh Maybe if you get a Wong,'craasch' will stop threatenin' to throwthat Riffe overboard! :poke

·
eating tasty
3,912 Posts
I tried freeshafting there for a while, ask Clay-do about that... me losing my shaft probably saved both of our lives from a monster bull shark.. get him to tell the story :)

21 - 40 of 50 Posts